Reduced earnings benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemase

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
For those of you who dont know me I suffer from neuropathy. It has been getting steadily worse for the last four months. It has now reached the point were it is affecting how I work. I do twelve hour shifts at the moment; during my appraisal last week it was decided that the ball was in my court as to how long I can continue working those hours. The hours are getting too much for me and and if I stop them I will be taking a step backwards in my career and would have to take a paycut. I am now wondering if I qualify for the above benefit. Does anyone have any experience with benefits, any good or bad stories? All would be appreciated as I embark on this new adventure in my life. Thanks, Ian.

Its not how hard we hit, its how we can get hit and keep moving forward.

For those of you who dont know me I suffer from neuropathy. It has been getting steadily worse for the last four months. It has now reached the point were it is affecting how I work. I do twelve hour shifts at the moment; during my appraisal last week it was decided that the ball was in my court as to how long I can continue working those hours. The hours are getting too much for me and and if I stop them I will be taking a step backwards in my career and would have to take a paycut. I am now wondering if I qualify for the above benefit. Does anyone have any experience with benefits, any good or bad stories? All would be appreciated as I embark on this new adventure in my life. Thanks, Ian.

Hi Ian I think we i might be able help you ...you may be able to claim 'working tax credit' if you are able to work over 30 hrs a week please ring
0845 300 3900 for 'working Tax credit' hot line (soz maybe charged) and they will be able to advise over the phone...they should also advise you as to other benefits you maybe entitled too...ring up discuss it with them and then you can make an informed decision as to your next move

Hi Ian

I was wondeing if you could get DLA both me and the hubby get it, me for my rheumatoid arthritis and epilepsy and hubby as he is wheelchair bound.

with dla you can claim both care and mobility components, and i would advise you answer all the questions on the forms, give them as much detail as you can however small ,
also you should be elegible for working tax credits.

you could get in contact with the benefits office in your area or even the citizens advice bureau.

good luck with it all

angie

I've been getting advice on working tax credits lately. If you're working 16 hours or more and/or earning less than ?6,240 (?) you will be eligible for working tax credits of up to ?1,300 per year. If you earn over that amount then they cut the total tax credits you would be paid in increments, I don't know how much. If you're over 50 there may be another ?1,900 per year available. If you're signed off you can still work fewer than 16 hours per week and claim your benefits, so long as you're earning less than ?93 per week.

The Direct.gov website should have the info you need.

I would try applying for DLA like recyclequeen suggested... the thing with the DLA form is it is very long and the questions sometimes seem hard to answer.. you have to actually look negatively at your life and what the neuropathy has done to change your daily activities of living... even if you don't get help doing something if you feel that because of your neuropathy is that bad then put it down, every little detail helps... say for instance you might find it hard getting into/out of the bath and would need if it was available, even though it isn't put that down..

Here is the link for the DLA form to complete online and print off...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DisabilityLivingAllowance/DG_10011925
then go to download dla form.

The other thing with DLA is you need to say the care you need NOT the care you have/get.

Generally most people will suggest keeping a diary for a couple of weeks and documenting everytime you have a problem, including difficulty getting in/out of a chair, the car or bed etc.

Many people find this benefit very difficult to complete honestly and to the level they will need to get the benefit; this is due to the fact it brings home rather starkly the problems you suffer from.

Another thing to consider is 'Access to Work' they may be able to provide your employer and yourself with advice, equipment and finance around 80% of the improvements needed to assist you in doing your job. There is no charge for the advice given and it is your employer, not you who needs to pay the contribution.

Good luck with your claim(s).

Thanks for all the good advice guys. I appreciate it.

Its not how hard we hit, its how hard we can get hit and keep moving forward, how much we can take and keep moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back