Red wine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin62

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I think I may of worked out my limits on Red wine.
I usually have 2 or 3 glasses on a Saturday night and my glucose levels are fine in the morning , but last night I was drinking a particularly lovely malbec and had 4 glasses.
Woke up this morning, checked my levels and they were 3.8
so cracked open my emergency carton of orange juice ( 15g carbs ) , 20 minutes later 7.9 and time for breakfast.
Martin

Hope you didn’t feel too rough today @Martin62, and hope it doesn’t put you off enjoying wine in the future.

Do you usually wake at 5 or more?

There is some research that suggests waking in the 4s can be associated with people (especially if they have had T1 for a while) dipping below 4.0, sometimes for quite long periods at night, without realising. Which can put a dent in your hypo warning signs.

To start with people usually get woken up by strong warning signs if they go low overnight, but this effect can fade away, so it’s best not to rely on it!

I usually have some crisps or similar with my wine just to counter-act the alcohol a bit. It works and it’s tasty 🙂 I’m really nervous about nighttime hypos so I usually go to bed on a slightly higher number than usual just as a kind of buffer.

Hope you didn’t feel too rough today @Martin62, and hope it doesn’t put you off enjoying wine in the future.

Do you usually wake at 5 or more?

There is some research that suggests waking in the 4s can be associated with people (especially if they have had T1 for a while) dipping below 4.0, sometimes for quite long periods at night, without realising. Which can put a dent in your hypo warning signs.

To start with people usually get woken up by strong warning signs if they go low overnight, but this effect can fade away, so it’s best not to rely on it

Yes I've been fine today, no ill effects, glucose levels in the 6s and 7s and finished the last 2 glasses in the bottle after a lovely roast dinner. My normal readings when I get up are anywhere between 5 & 8 , I do work nights so my mornings are afternoons except at weekends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back