Red Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzy78

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hiya

New T1 diagnosis here. Just a quick question. With Xmas coming up, and a night out on the horizon, I usually like a glass/bottle of red wine. Could anyone advise me what I should eat before I go to bed, as I have read that alcohol lowers sugar levels. I am on levemir and novorapid. Any other advice regarding alcohol would be appreciated.

Hiya

New T1 diagnosis here. Just a quick question. With Xmas coming up, and a night out on the horizon, I usually like a glass/bottle of red wine. Could anyone advise me what I should eat before I go to bed, as I have read that alcohol lowers sugar levels. I am on levemir and novorapid. Any other advice regarding alcohol would be appreciated.
First point, don’t leave it til the night out, this is a good excuse to practise beforehand! As you’re on Levemir, lowering your basal is a possibility. (I split my dose, so it’s always an option for me to lower the night time dose). I usually eat a piece of Burgen toast before bed if I think I need to counteract alcohol, it’s carby, but slow acting.

Ha. That might be an idea Robin! I was thinking to maybe try some wine in the house first as I haven't had alcohol since my diagnosis.

I have seen a few people mention burgen toast? This might sound daft but what is it? And can you get it in most supermarkets?

Ahh right great. Will have a look for it. Would I be right in saying I could have a slice of that with some cheese before bed, and not need insulin for it as it would be under 10g carbs?

Ahh right great. Will have a look for it. Would I be right in saying I could have a slice of that with some cheese before bed, and not need insulin for it as it would be under 10g carbs?
Yes, if you were counteracting the potential alcohol drop. Or just generally, if you thought your bedtime number was a little bit on the low side for comfort.

Previous thread, with obligatory UB40 reference. 🙂

There have been a surprisingly large number of threads on this topic...

I see that previous thread has mainly been commented on by T2 diabetics? Was just looking for some insight from anyone who has T1 and drinks red wine and if there was any advice I could listen to?

Thanks

I see that previous thread has mainly been commented on by T2 diabetics? Was just looking for some insight from anyone who has T1 and drinks red wine and if there was any advice I could listen to?

Thanks
I agree with Robin, you need a practice at home before the celebrities kick in.
I also reduce my basal insulin overnight if I have had alcohol.

The reasoning for this (in very unmedical terms) is that your liver has to process the alcohol, and prioritises this over dribbling out glucose, that it will be doing 24/7 without alcohol. So you will have a bit less glucose in your system while your liver is getting on with that, so you need a bit less insulin.

I keep a loaf of Bergen in the freezer and it’s is easy to fish out one slice at a time for these occasions.
It is trial and improvment sorting out what works for you, (so you may need more than one practice!)
For me when on injections
Bergen with cheese worked for one glass of wine
Bergen with chocolate spread for two glasses of wine.
(Some of the bonuses of managing the Diabetes!!!)

I agree with Robin, you need a practice at home before the celebrities kick in.
I also reduce my basal insulin overnight if I have had alcohol.

The reasoning for this (in very unmedical terms) is that your liver has to process the alcohol, and prioritises this over dribbling out glucose, that it will be doing 24/7 without alcohol. So you will have a bit less glucose in your system while your liver is getting on with that, so you need a bit less insulin.

I keep a loaf of Bergen in the freezer and it’s is easy to fish out one slice at a time for these occasions.
It is trial and improvment sorting out what works for you, (so you may need more than one practice!)
For me when on injections
Bergen with cheese worked for one glass of wine
Bergen with chocolate spread for two glasses of wine.
(Some of the bonuses of managing the Diabetes!!!)

Thank you. It's something I will ask at my dietician appt tomorrow. How much do you usually reduce your overnight basal dose by?

If your dietician is anything like the usual NHS standard, they’ll probably tell you to go out for a kebab to prevent a hypo - just like normal folk do for the same reason.:D

I don’t drink now, but the dosage drop was usually about 2 units, but it really depends on how much you drink, and what your normal dose is. That drop in dosage represents about 15%. Worked for me.

Thanks Mike. I will see if she mentions a kebab when I see her tomorrow! See to be honest, I'm a bit scared to take some wine. I have always loved a wee bottle of red at the weekend, but not sure if it's gonna be worth it now. Just totally confused with it all.

Can anyone advise what would be the best snacks to take while drinking wine? I'm gathering that I should not drink on an empty stomach, but in terms of snacks, I'm taking it that it should be snacks under 10g carbs?

I usually have a packet of wotsits or a few ritz biscuits with cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back