Red wine

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Odam

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
i have read conflicting reports about t2 and small glass of good red wine with evening meal. Then I read in the notes with my Metformin 'no alcohol'. I was saving that item as my 'treat' but have abandoned the 2/3 bottle until I can understand better. Any help?

I have no problem with Metformin & Red Wine..... There is suggestion of many positive benefits of a glass of wine (I think that moderation is the key)

One of the issues is Lactic Acidosis which, so I read, is quite rare.

i have read conflicting reports about t2 and small glass of good red wine with evening meal. Then I read in the notes with my Metformin 'no alcohol'. I was saving that item as my 'treat' but have abandoned the 2/3 bottle until I can understand better. Any help?
Nah, ignore it George - I used to take Metformin twice a day and often had red wine with dinner. I've now given up Metformin as my control is good but have kept the red wine :D

I have 2 glasses of white wine with soda every night and a couple of glasses of sherry before dinner. No problems with BG at all. I do drink red wine sometimes when I have visitors or go out. I find with an improved diet the alcohol in moderation does not harm.

I have no problem with Metformin & Red Wine..... There is suggestion of many positive benefits of a glass of wine (I think that moderation is the key)

One of the issues is Lactic Acidosis which, so I read, is quite rare.
Should you care to search around this forum, there is a section that recommends 250 ml only for diabetics. Although that must be hard to measure unless you have glasses that size or use a measuring jug. Drinking 187 ml bottle and then trying to extract the remainder from another by eye is rather difficult although I suspect many go over the recommend amount - difficult not to.

I'm surprised nobody beat me to it! 😉

I take two bottles of red wine and a metformin a night and my readings are fine I think???? I find the reading bit a bit fuzzy 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back