Red angry blister

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLang

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've just come back from walking my dog and discovered a big red angry looking blister covering about a third of toe. Do you think that antiseptic and a plaster would be enough to look after it I'm always very worried when I do something to my feet.......and I was so pleased because I'd walked for an hour which had made feel very pleased with myself

Hi Lang sorry to hear about the blister there nasty those things, one thing you can do if it is not to painful is to try popping it in the corner with a sterilised needle and drain it if thats to painful then i would higlty reccommend you get in touch with your dsn and ask for advice or if you have one ring your chropodist for advice.

1 tip if you have some petroluem jelly like vaseline pop abit of that on it it bsorbs the heat but it is only a small measure in helping with pain .

p.s im not to sure if all this is applicable being diabetic so hope my advice is hopefully not all wrong.

Last edited:
An antisceptic plaster should do the trick, but if you have any doubts or it is slow to heal, seek medical advice.

Hi steffie thanks for this the blister appears to have burst itself but I will put some Vaseline on it. I hate bothering dsns about something like this but equally don't want to take any chances with it

Thanks caroline

When I was 19 (many years ago) I had a blister between my toes and within 24 hours it was nasty and my entire foot was very very painful.
I went to A+E and got it sorted with anti-biotics.

Rob

Hi Rob sorry to hear that you had problems with your blister think that is my concern about this one because it is so red and angry that I dare not put a shoe on it

AJLang
Did you feel any discomfort on the site of your blister during the walk? If it came as a surprise when you removed your footwear, that suggests that the nerves in your feet are damaged (called neuropathy, for completeness). If you did feel it, then did you stop and try to adjust socks / apply plaster etc? I always keep a suitable plaster strip in my wallet, although always use it on someone else, then replace it for the next time. When hiking seriously, I usually apply zinc oxide tape to places I know may rub (back of heel with certain shoes). Main advantage of applying tape before blister forms is that it prevents skin getting broken and risking infection getting in. Changing shoes (or going barefoot inside if no neuropathy) is wise - you'll see people in all sorts of sandals after fell runs, adventure races etc, which I do, but it applies to any sore feet.

Hi Copepod thanks for this info I didn't even realize that the toe was affected until I happened to glance down at my feet after I got home. All hospital checks have said that my pulses are fine so hope this not feeling the pain when walking isn't a sign of neuropathy although it is painful when I touch it. If it was a clear blister I wouldn't be too worried but it is the redness that is concerning me. Nhs direct have advised that I get it dressed at the minor injuries clinic so have been trying to get hold of my other half so he can take me there

Sounds like the best course of action if unsure. I would certainly do the same again.

Best of luck.

Rob

On the subject of blisters - has anyone tried the new compede plasters? I have and they are really good in that you can continue with exercise even if blister is painful. Just a thought that has never occurred before though, now diagnosed as diabetic, should i be using them - they are like a cushioned plaster but seem to stay on much better than normal plasters??

On the subject of blisters - has anyone tried the new compede plasters? I have and they are really good in that you can continue with exercise even if blister is painful. Just a thought that has never occurred before though, now diagnosed as diabetic, should i be using them - they are like a cushioned plaster but seem to stay on much better than normal plasters??

I don't know if it's advised or not, but I've used them before & think they're fab!

I've read that diabetics should not use corn plasters or similar. Don't know if these Compede ones have any medication incorporated that could cause problems.

Brian

I hope that the advice I was given today will help others if they should develop blisters that aren't clear in colour. I was referred to the minor injuries clinic. They have put a dressing on it and have stressed that on Thursday I must either get it checked again by my practice nurse or the minor injuries unit. Also that if there is any sign or infection or anything unusual eg red colour going further up my foot or leg then I should go back much soon. Ditto if I develop a high temperature. I'm glad that it has been checked

I hope that the advice I was given today will help others if they should develop blisters that aren't clear in colour. I was referred to the minor injuries clinic. They have put a dressing on it and have stressed that on Thursday I must either get it checked again by my practice nurse or the minor injuries unit. Also that if there is any sign or infection or anything unusual eg red colour going further up my foot or leg then I should go back much soon. Ditto if I develop a high temperature. I'm glad that it has been checked

Good advice there hope it clears up asap.Cant be nice i had blisters on back a few years ago and i was in agony had to get then sorted at the surgery.

Glad you got it checked and thank you for sharing the advice with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back