Recommended Cookbooks/Recipe Sites

danielmg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello All,

I am T1D (almost 3 years now), and hoping to find a cookbook/site that caters to the following principles:

- Predominantly low carbohydrate meals
- Minimal ingredients or easily obtained items in a supermarket/kitchen cupboard staples
- Focus on batch cooking (I tend to have my breakfast option covered at the moment by using Huel powder each morning)

I'm in a strange place with my T1D, as my insulin needs keep fluctuating in and out of the 'honeymoon phase', so sometimes higher carb meals are actually needed. A recent trial with the Freestyle Libre has brought to light certain trends in BG levels that I wasn't aware of before when just using blood testing.

Sorry if this is somewhat specific. There are alot of choices out there with mixed reviews (including latest DUK releases) or not entirely suited to those with T1D or T2D (in terms of book formatting/providing of key nutritional info.). I tend to use BBC Good Food and a mixture of other sites, however it can be very difficult to find one source that fits all (or most) of what would be ideal.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Daniel

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Daniel, I'm personally not aware of any specific low carb cook books other than a keto recipe book which is gathering dust on my kitchen dresser! I tend to cook from web site recipes (I also use the BBC Good Food recipes a lot), but I just leave out the carb element. If the recipe calls for a tablespoon of flour I will use that, but otherwise I leave out anything like potatoes or rice. Mind you, I do a lot of casseroles, chillis etc, and I usually batch cook and freeze portions.

I'll keep an eye on this thread in case anyone comes up with a good book.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I just use normal cookbooks and sometimes online recipes. It’s usually fairly easy to make any adjustments necessary or avoid a few recipes or have a smaller portion.

I’ve not found many cookbooks with nutritional info in, so I add it myself (in pencil) when I make a recipe.

I suggest buying cookbooks which contain the type of food you like to eat or that are aimed at your highest priority need eg if batch cooking is most important to you. Some of Delia’s recipes are good (and lots are online). Ottolenghi is good (I like Plenty).

For freezing/batches, most recipes serve 4 or more so you might have some portions left over. If not, you can always double the recipe and freeze. Casseroles, lasagnes, chillis, moussaka, things like Shepherds Pie all freeze well. Portion them up before freezing.

Sally W

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I recommend Michael Mosley recipe books: fast 800, clever guts & blood sugar diet. They are lower carb but not overly heavy meat or fish. There is a good mix of recipes, including meat, fish & vegetarian. One we eat all the time is aubergine parmigiana, which is delicious and simple. Do look out for the recipe books though as there are fast 800 diet books and then the recipe books, written by his wife Dr Clare Bailey.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You could also try Jamie Oliver’s “5 Ingredients”.

From the look of the Look Inside, it seems to have nutritional info for recipes too.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I thought the 5 ingredient idea was a couple of Australian ladies !

Perfect10

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I bought the Fast 800 book and do use this, also got one called Keto cure which is good, best thing is to go into The Works book shop and have a browse through them all, pretty cheap in there anyway.