recommendations for securing the freestyle libre in place?

temimaltath

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hey, i'm new here but i know there's a seperate board for that. pretty much made an account just to get some advice on what others have found helpful to prevent their libres from unsticking or falling off. i've only had the libre on for a couple of hours. the nurse who gave it to me suggested taping it in place and i didn't think to question her further. anyway, the tape hasn't turned out to be all that effective. i've had a look for other stuff and found that there are various stickers and armbands but the reviews seem mixed so i'm a little sceptical. if anyone feels comfortable sharing their own experiences and recommending anything i would really appreciate it.

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have used 3M Tegaderm film (6x7cm) and found it worked fine. (You might want to cut a little in the middle to match the hole in the sensor.)

(I mostly find the Libre sensor's glue is fine so I don't use anything else, but month or two ago noticed a sensor starting to peel at the edges a couple of days before it was to run out and used a Tegaderm to keep it on just for the couple of days. But skin varies, as do other things, so I'm not that surprised if some people find the glue insufficient.)

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Another vote for Tegaderm here! We just stick it on as a matter of course now, rather than waiting until the sensor looks like it’s about to fall off. We never cut a hole in the middle but I think that is what you are supposed to do, to allow your skin to breathe. I didn’t find this out until we had been just slapping it on without cutting a hole for several months, and we've never had a problem, so just continued like that!

I tried Micropore tape also but found that fairly useless

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I make sure to exfoliate the site first before applying the Libre. I use an abrasive shower glove with shower gel and water to scrub the skin and remove any dry or dead skin. Then I let it dry thoroughly. Then I use the alcohol wipes that are provided and again wait plenty of time for the site to dry completely and then apply the sensor. So far mine have lasted up until the last couple of days before starting to lift a bit and then I just use a couple of strips of Micropore to keep it down for the remaining day or so.
If it is lifting so quickly, I would review your skin prep prior to applying the sensor for your next one, particularly if you have dry skin or have perhaps caught the sun on the site during the previous few days.
Tegaderm seems to be the accepted solution for securing them from what I have read, but proper Micropore (not cheap supermarket own brands) works well for me.

temimaltath

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
thank you for the advice, everyone. I hadn't heard of Tegaderm before now but upon a cursory search it seems to be exactly what i've been looking for.
i'll also be sure to try out the method for prepping my skin for the libre when i change the sensor next, thank you so much rebrascora.

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Why do you thinh the sensor will fall off? I've never used anything other than the glue on the sensor. Also, I have never used anything other than the alcohol wipes to prep the skin. Has one ever fallen off? No. It works perfectly well if you simply follow the instructions. Exfoliating the skin will actually make it more likely that it won't adhere properly.

What this means is that I change a sensor in under three minutes, and most of that is waiting for the wiped area to dry. It's not a great ritual, just stick it on and fire it up. Job done.

Just don't put a sensor on just before you have a shower, it takes a while for the glue to set.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As someone who has had dry skin all my life, exfoliating is helpful to remove the loose dry surface skin and therefore give the adhesive a more stable surface to attach to. If I apply a 14 day patch to skin which is already starting to flake off then logic suggests to me that the Libre is less likely to stay the distance. Also my skin will get itchy as the skin starts to flake off and I am more likely to start scratching and catch the sensor and pull it off.

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well, that’s fair enough. But advising a newcomer with presumably normal skin with your routine without mentioning that is surely wrong. I would suggest you amend your post accordingly.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The OP was posting about the Libre falling off after a couple of days. It is possible that they applied it to sun damaged skin which was dry and flaky rather than having a general dry skin condition. I see no problem with advising someone who has had the adhesion fail, to exfoliate the site and let it dry before then using the alcohol wipes, just to make sure the skin is best primed for the adhesive.

I appreciate that your Libre sensors adhere very well without any other site prep but since the OP is having problems, it seems a logical suggestion to exfoliate first whether they suffer from dry skin or not.

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
No, the OP said the sensor had been on for a couple of hours, and didn’t mention it falling off at all, so inventing sun damage and dry and flaky skin as well still doesn’t negate my comments.

Bexlee

I used to put tagerderm over sensor but for probably 8/9 months it’s not needed it.

I have for peace of mind got some specific “plasters” that fit over the sensor (sensor uncovered in the middle) and secure the edges if it starts to lift in the last few days now it’s a bit warmer I do tend to use one 4 days from the end.

I got mine off amazon but I also just found funky pumpers sell them about £1.40 each. Just search CGM pump products and libre and it comes up ..... you can have plain or shapes like penguins/ tractor/racing car/ skull and crossbones ......different colours.

Attachments

Last edited:

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I rarely find I have any trouble with Libre (and Dexcom are equally sticky!)

The only sensors I regularly needed to tape were Medtronic Enlite/G3 where taping is part of the design. For those I used Hypafix, which is a breathable fabric style, and always left my skin in good condition (the Medtronic tape brought me out in a rash!). Opsite flexifixwas good too.

With Libre, I would see now you get on... most people don’t need to overtape, but some who are magnetically attracted to doorframes, or who have particular skin types find taping is helpful.

If you do use tape, ensure that the central hole remains open to the air, as it is designed to allow the skin under the sensor to breathe during the 14 day wear.

TomBH

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I rarely find I have any trouble with Libre (and Dexcom are equally sticky!)

The only sensors I regularly needed to tape were Medtronic Enlite/G3 where taping is part of the design. For those I used Hypafix, which is a breathable fabric style, and always left my skin in good condition (the Medtronic tape brought me out in a rash!). Opsite flexifixwas good too.

With Libre, I would see now you get on... most people don’t need to overtape, but some who are magnetically attracted to doorframes, or who have particular skin types find taping is helpful.

If you do use tape, ensure that the central hole remains open to the air, as it is designed to allow the skin under the sensor to breathe during the 14 day wear.
Hi Mike - this is really useful. It's my 1st time posting in relation to my 3 year old daughter who was diagnosed as type 1 about 2 years ago. She has a Medtronic Enlite and has been having skin trouble with the tape provided. We currently also use Tagaderm on top of the tape provided by Medtronic, but that has a tendency to come loose around the edges, especially when wet. My question is... out of the 2 tapes you mentioned, did either work better after being submerged in water? We've just come back from a little break by the sea and it was especially frustrating having to stick another Tagaderm plaster on after almost every trip into the water and it did her skin no good either, so we're looking for a solution before we go back in a couple of weeks. Any other hints / tips you had for dealing with water when using the Enlite would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance... Tom

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’ve not had much experience of extended contact in water I’m afraid :(

It has always seemed to me that these things stick rock solid until they start to peel... then everything else you try also seems to lift too!

It can help to give tapes and adhesives about 24 hours after application to come up to ‘full strength’ - but life (especially on holiday!) doesn’t always allow for that.

It also seems to me that different adhesives and tapes suit different skin types.

Rokadex has a good reputation - but it’s not one I’ve tried!

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @temimaltath

I used to use tegaderm over my Libre when I was swimming every week, with the hole cut in the centre to let it ‘breathe’. This worked well but it still curled up at the edges a bit.

For general use I now don’t bother and they certainly stick well. I tend to wait until after a shower and time to cool off before applying (so have breakfast first). I then make sure that I don’t clock it for an hour (and try to avoid the door jams which seem set on attracting the sensor).

I hope that you find some thing that works for you.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @TomBH
Do introduce yourself in the newbie section if you have time.
There is also a section for parents who would no doubt benefit from your input too.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Welcome to the forum @temimaltath

I used to use tegaderm over my Libre when I was swimming every week, with the hole cut in the centre to let it ‘breathe’. This worked well but it still curled up at the edges a bit.

For general use I now don’t bother and they certainly stick well. I tend to wait until after a shower and time to cool off before applying (so have breakfast first). I then make sure that I don’t clock it for an hour (and try to avoid the door jams which seem set on attracting the sensor).

I hope that you find some thing that works for you.
I would said this till yesterday, the sensor that a few hours to go gave up the ghost. So I applied a new one before the hour was up to start it feel off I was not doing anything. Couple of hours later tried again and the same thing happened. Fortunately been in touch with Abbott so are replacing, they were from same order but had different batch numbers.
Though I had one left so I thought would wait till weather cooled again before using it, but was getting withdrawl so have applied , fingers crossed.

Matt J

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just out of interest, on which part of your arm are you popping the sensor? When I was taught about the sensor by the Libre rep we were all told it should always go in the inner arm, that way it is not going to be knocked or caught on anything which might dislodge it.

I remember a photograph of Theresa May going viral as she was wearing her patch on her outer arm and lots of diabetics were keen to let her know of her 'mistake'. I have been wearing sensors for a couple of years now and have never had one that has become loose.

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
When I was taught about the sensor by the Libre rep we were all told it should always go in the inner arm, that way it is not going to be knocked or caught on anything which might dislodge it.
That's not what any of the images on https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/ show (or what the tutorial video shows). (The one time I tried putting it there it hurt (presumably I hit some blood vessel) and when I removed it (after about a week) I had a nasty bruise, but quite possibly I was just unlucky.)

I remember a photograph of Theresa May going viral as she was wearing her patch on her outer arm and lots of diabetics were keen to let her know of her 'mistake'.
I felt the only mistake she'd made was one time there was an obvious ring near where the sensor was suggesting that she hadn't cleaned the adhesive off (and that she hadn't swapped arms, but maybe that matters less than I imagine).

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have never seen any official Libre photos or videos showing innner arm.
I have seen YouTube videos of people putting them elsewhere.