Recommendations for compact BG & BK meter with individually wrapped test strips (NOT Optium Neo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedro

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, been a while since I was on here so apologies for 'leeching' but would be grateful for recommendations regarding the subject line.

Recently switched to OP5/DexG6 HCL (from original Omnipod 'Eros' and Libre 2), so have lost the PDM's integrated Freestyle BG meter.

I'm looking for a combined BG & BK meter that's reasonably compact with individually wrapped test strips. Wrapped strips are important as they're less prone to deterioration; I frequently work in humid environments. I also find them less bulky and therefore easier to fit in shorts or jacket pocket.

I was previously using a very old Optium Xceed but trying to get Abbott/Freestyle (or whatever they call themselves these days) to provide a new Optium Neo replacement proved to be another exercise in frustration and wasted time, as were all interactions during years' of Libre 1 & 2 use. Three times they promised to send one but they've not managed it yet after nearly a month.

I don't mind paying out-of-pocket but I'm not giving any more money to Abbott (self-funded Libre 1 for years) so recommendations for alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

It looks like Caresens might do one? I don’t have any experience of it, but lots of members here have had good experiences with Caresens meters.

I trialled a dual blood/ketone meter years ago, but alas it wasn’t reliable enough for me to recommend it.

Oh yeah, I have had that Optimum Neo fun with Abbott.
I was not willing to give up as I didn’t want to waste my current supply of strips.
Eventually, they sent me two Neo meters.

So, you could just persevere.

Thanks @everydayupsanddowns and @helli. I'll confess that on the fifth call to Abbott and after 15 mins on hold I told them not to bother and that I'd find an alternative. Unfortunately the Caresens Dual is bigger than ideal and the strips come in pots but grateful for the suggestion all the same. Will have to raid KCL's meter cupboard next time I'm there

Thanks @everydayupsanddowns and @helli. I'll confess that on the fifth call to Abbott and after 15 mins on hold I told them not to bother and that I'd find an alternative. Unfortunately the Caresens Dual is bigger than ideal and the strips come in pots but grateful for the suggestion all the same. Will have to raid KCL's meter cupboard next time I'm there

Fingers crossed they have something suitable squirrelled away for you somewhere!

Could you decant strips into old pots (whose desiccant should still be fine) so you only risk a few at a time? Or would that be a pain re the size of the kit?

My wavesense jazz wireless is absolutely tiny, doesn’t do ketones and strips are pots of 25 (or 50) but surely you don’t need to test ketones regularly anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back