• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

Recipe suggestions

Inkypudding

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I am 76 retired I am in total shock pricking my finger several times a day is
quite upsetting but mostly what to eat what not to eat can anyone recommend a simple to follow diabetic recipes book, I have a muscle wasting disease so taking more exercise is a challenge, I cook every night meat/fish with veg but it’s nice to have a desert and that seems to be limited to sugar free jelly, or yogurt, any suggestions

Olive

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, Asda do a nice chocolate eclair with 6.4g of carbs I treat myself
to one at the weekend they come in a pack of 6 so need willpower :)
I make a jelly and add fruit to it blueberries, or raspberries and buy
a thick cream to go with this perhaps others on here will share their
recipes with you

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I am 76 retired I am in total shock pricking my finger several times a day is
quite upsetting but mostly what to eat what not to eat can anyone recommend a simple to follow diabetic recipes book, I have a muscle wasting disease so taking more exercise is a challenge, I cook every night meat/fish with veg but it’s nice to have a desert and that seems to be limited to sugar free jelly, or yogurt, any suggestions
I make up desserts using full fat natural Greek yogurt, berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries or blueberries) and nuts. Low carb and quite filling.

Incidentally you don't need to be pricking your finger randomly several times a day. Most of us test on waking (fasting test, as we won't have eaten anything for several hours on account of having been asleep), and just before a meal and then two hours after it. Two hours after the meal should ideally be no more that 2 or 3 above the pre-meal reading. More than that and maybe you would want to rethink that meal choice. If you keep a food diary alongside your readings you will soon see what foods are giving you the least rise in BG.

Martin

Inkypudding

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, Asda do a nice chocolate eclair with 6.4g of carbs I treat myself
to one at the weekend they come in a pack of 6 so need willpower :)
I make a jelly and add fruit to it blueberries, or raspberries and buy
a thick cream to go with this perhaps others on here will share their
recipes with you
Thank you so much for your suggestions I will certainly do as you suggest jelly with fruit in sounds lovely and the eclair sound naughty but nice, I have found that if I eat anything sweet my heart seems to race but as you say I will ration myself, I didn’t think you could have cream ?

Inkypudding

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I make up desserts using full fat natural Greek yogurt, berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries or blueberries) and nuts. Low carb and quite filling.

Incidentally you don't need to be pricking your finger randomly several times a day. Most of us test on waking (fasting test, as we won't have eaten anything for several hours on account of having been asleep), and just before a meal and then two hours after it. Two hours after the meal should ideally be no more that 2 or 3 above the pre-meal reading. More than that and maybe you would want to rethink that meal choice. If you keep a food diary alongside your readings you will soon see what foods are giving you the least rise in BG.

Martin
Thank you for your advice I have been doing a blood test before breakfast and again before my evening meal two holes in my finger is enough for one day, your suggestion of doing a food diary sounds a good idea I will start that today, thanks again

Pine Marten

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Cream has fewer carbs than skimmed or semi skim milk, so a dessert of cream with sugar free jelly or some blackberries/raspberries/other berries is good :)

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I get a joint or chicken and put slices of swede in the tray under it as it roasts. I do the whole thing and it is good for a day or so in the fridge, though it might freeze to keep longer. I mash it with cream to replace potato. I do stir fries, which can be got frozen and various low carb veges on subsequent days as we eat our way through the chicken. Recently I could not get small chickens, so I bought the large one cut off the legs and froze them then cooked the rest.
You could make yourself custard, beat in an egg and add cream and a little water, then cook it in the microwave with short bursts - maybe just 10 seconds, then stir, repeat until it thickens and add flavourings and a touch of sweetener. The usual flavour is vanilla, but there are lots to try, or you might like to get some frozen fruit, which goes mushy when it is defrosted and swirl that into the setting custard so the juice sweetens it.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for your advice I have been doing a blood test before breakfast and again before my evening meal two holes in my finger is enough for one day, your suggestion of doing a food diary sounds a good idea I will start that today, thanks again

Welcome to the forum @Inkypudding

If you would prefer to stick to 2 BG checks a day, I think it would give you more immediately actionable information to do a before-after pair around one meal. That way rather than having 2 points of data with a whole bunch of stuff going on between them, you will have a way of seeing how your body responded to one meal. Then the next day you can recheck the same meal (logging the results in your food diary) or switch to before-after a different mealtime.

Ideally a rise of 2-3mmol/L is what you are looking for. In the early weeks in a sense the numbers themselves matter less than the difference between them if you are checking meal-by-meal, because as you adjust and reduce some of the carbs in the meal to see a smaller ‘meal rise’, your overall levels will begin to come down gradually - and gentle shifts in overall levels are kinder on the fine blood vessels :)

Inkypudding

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Welcome to the forum @Inkypudding

If you would prefer to stick to 2 BG checks a day, I think it would give you more immediately actionable information to do a before-after pair around one meal. That way rather than having 2 points of data with a whole bunch of stuff going on between them, you will have a way of seeing how your body responded to one meal. Then the next day you can recheck the same meal (logging the results in your food diary) or switch to before-after a different mealtime.

Ideally a rise of 2-3mmol/L is what you are looking for. In the early weeks in a sense the numbers themselves matter less than the difference between them if you are checking meal-by-meal, because as you adjust and reduce some of the carbs in the meal to see a smaller ‘meal rise’, your overall levels will begin to come down gradually - and gentle shifts in overall levels are kinder on the fine blood vessels :)
Thank you for your advice, perhaps I will do one after my evening meal but how long after would you suggest, I note that it’s often mentioned on this site to consult your team, what team is that ? I had a call from the Doctor telling me I was diabetic I went to the surgery and they gave me a meter and a few leaflets, so I am unsure what my reading should be, it’s all very unsatisfactory but then it’s the COVID making it impossible to speak to anyone face to face.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Most Type 2 are looked after by GP surgeries', Type 1 usally looked after by a Hospital Team.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for your advice, perhaps I will do one after my evening meal but how long after would you suggest,

Usually people check immediately before eating, and again 2hrs after your first bite.

I note that it’s often mentioned on this site to consult your team, what team is that ?

If you are being seen at your GP surgery, that might be your GP, the practice nurse, the practice phlebotomist, and the practice pharmacist - or in other surgeries it might just be your GP!

I had a call from the Doctor telling me I was diabetic I went to the surgery and they gave me a meter and a few leaflets, so I am unsure what my reading should be, it’s all very unsatisfactory but then it’s the COVID making it impossible to speak to anyone face to face.

Yes COVID must be making things really difficult.

It’s great that you’ve been given a meter though - that suggests your surgery want to support you to actively manage your diabetes :)

Levels you will ultimately want to aim for are 4-7 before meals, and no higher than 8.5 by 2hrs after eating.

But it’s best to bring higher levels down gradually if your readings are higher to start with.