recent bad press about vitamins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
what do people think about the recent bad press about vitamins? would you stop taking them or carry on? i take a multi vitamin every other day and omega 3 capsules twice a week. My GP said once that she would not waste her money on them as we should get our vitamins in our food, i'd like to know your opinion, thanks

When I was diagnosed I was prescribed a multivitamin a day, plus some extra 'B' vitamin tablets. I was taken off the Vit B, but still take the multivit. My GP said I probably didn't need them any more, but I said I would prefer to know that I wasn't falling short on anything essential so she agreed to continue prescribing them 🙂 Yes, we probably should get them in our food, but a lot will depend on our diet and if we might be missing out certain food groups, or if aspects of our health mean we are deficient in certain things.

I take vitamin B complex every day. My B12 levels have always been quite low (I think this is common in diabetics?) but after my daughter was born they dropped through the floor and caused neurological problems - double vision, loss of balance and tingling in extremities. I thought the tingling was neuropathy rearing its head and was terrified! I was admitted to hospital and given every test under the sun - MRI, lumbar puncture, nerve response tests, all sorts of things. The best guess was that it might be MS. But when they got the blood results back they decided it was probably caused by low stores of B vits and specifically the B12.

Since I started taking the vits there's been no relapses. Fingers crossed it's working!

This is a personal thing, I think we should get enough of what we need from our food. I aim to have a healthy balanced diet, so shouldn't need a multi vitamin.

I know you can't go by just one or two people, but I know a couple of people who take every vitamin and dietry supplement they can get and are still always ill.

I'm one for getting everything that I need from my normal diet too. But there are times when taking vitamins in pill form is advisable.

Andy 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back