Reassurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neildp

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Despite my best endeavours (admittedly they’re not the best) my levels are hovering around the 12 to 14% mark.
I have work to do I know but what is worrying me is that most people talk about under 6%.
Am I alone or do others amongst you have a similar issue?

Morning @Neildp. To make sure we are all taking about the same thing, what numbers are you referring to?

Thought that was the case but wanted to make sure because they are not measured as a percentage. Calling them a percentage can lead to confusion with the old way of measuring HbA1c. Just call them meter readings or add mmol/l and then then all will be well.

Trouble with blood glucose readings is that they vary a lot through the day. Mine currently are around 7 when at their lowest, on waking and before eating, and up around 12 when at their highest, an hour or two after eating. I am pretty confident that at those levels my HbA1c will be in the high 40's. I'll live with that and provided I keep my carb intake under control then I doubt they will change much. I personally do not see any point in chasing super low HbA1c results, for me that would be a lot of effort for very little gain.

What I would do is to start to take readings at different times of day so that you can really get a really good picture of how your blood glucose varies through the day, how it is affected by eating and how long it takes for your system to deal with the higher levels you will get after meals.

EDIT

I see I really did not answer your question! If you read around the forum you will find many members who struggle with putting the readings they get into some sort of context so that they can work out a way forward. There are all sorts of guidelines but at the end of the day you have to end up somewhere that suits you. Going the route I have suggested got me a perspective on things, but then I am a retired experimental scientist and for me getting a load of numbers and looking at them was a natural thing to do. One thing for sure is that if your readings are in the teens for most of the time then you need to begin to work out a way to get them down so that you finish up with an average close to 8. That does not mean all the readings have to be 8 or below. What it means is that you should aim for sufficient readings below 8 to balance out the readings above 8. Just don't forget that despite what you read, there is no such thing as perfection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back