Reasonable adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I'm type 1 Diabetic (and other health problems) and I work shifts. Would it be reasonable to ask my place of work for the same days off every week to know when I'm off so I can book hospital/GP appointments? I'm struggling and I keep missing appointment/ having to re-arrange them as I only get my shifts 2 weeks in advance. Do you think this would be classed as a 'reasonable adjustment' under the disability discrimination act?

You need to check your contract of employment as some employers allow time off, either paid or unpaid for medical appointments for the individual but not if it is for family members when people would need to book annual leave or time off.
There is no guarantee your appointments would be on that fixed day anyway.
Employers have to be seen to be fair to everyone but you could perhaps ask for the time off and the make that time up later.

Don’t you get time off work for medical appointments @Beth123 ? Just arrange your appointment and let your work know asap. I got time off for all hospital appointments.

Have you explained your situation to your manager and how you are missing/rearranging appointments?
You may find they are understanding and will either allow you time off as suggested or fixed days off as you would like or some other type of flexibility.
Until you discuss the issue with them they may not know and can’t make “reasonable adjustments”.
I would have the discussion rather than go in with only one solution in mind as it may have other consequences which you have not considered.

Hope you are able to have constructive conversations with your employer @Beth123

There are a fee pointers on this page that might help

And some details about your rights at work on the same page here

Hi, I'm type 1 Diabetic (and other health problems) and I work shifts. Would it be reasonable to ask my place of work for the same days off every week to know when I'm off so I can book hospital/GP appointments? I'm struggling and I keep missing appointment/ having to re-arrange them as I only get my shifts 2 weeks in advance. Do you think this would be classed as a 'reasonable adjustment' under the disability discrimination act?
I don’t think having the same shifts every week would be the reasonable adjustments since you can’t request the hospital see you on set days anyway. Allowing unpaid time off or a change of shift when an appointment comes through would be the adjustment.

You should know about hospital appointments more than 2 weeks in advance so when you get an appointment you should be able to request not to be scheduled to work on the day of the appointment. Or else when the shifts come through you should be allowed to swap so that you can attend your appointment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back