Really weird bloods these past 24 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Type1Janner

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Heya, today I woke up with really high blood glucose, my libre app said i went to 18 after breakfast, at the moment i am not eating all that much regardless as have lost interest in food anyway. I am wondering if its because recently my long lasting insulin was lowered to 50 units from 55 - but this was because my libre was reporting very low hypos. (2-3) - Since then Abbot admitted fault of their Libre 2. Surely this must be connected is some form another ?

Has anyone any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

Welcome @Type1Janner 🙂 When you got the lows on the Libre, did you fingerprick to verify them? The Libre can be subject to compression lows (pressure on it) especially at night, eg if you lie on it.

How long have you had Type 1? What basal/long-acting insulin do you take? Perhaps the 5 units was too big a reduction?

I hope the decision to change your basal dose was made based on finger pricks rather than the Libre graphs.
And I hope you are now finger pricking to confirm the highs.
There are a number of often repeated limitations of all CGMs and most come back to checking highs and lows with finger pricks before drawing any conclusions and taking any actions (unless you are obvious hypo).
Abbott reporting a problem is about what the sensor reports not what your levels are. Which is another reason why you should be checking your numbers with a finger prick. The sensor does not cause your numbers to go high (unless you are having a reaction to the glue or filament), it reports what your numbers are .. or what it thinks your numbers are.

If you have confirmed your high, you then need to consider what has changed since you last saw "normal" numbers.
The decrease in basal is one thing to consider but so is stress. You mention you are eating less, your liver could be dumping glucose because it thinks you are starving (a but like Dawn Phenomenon). You may not feel like eating becuase you are going down with a bug which again will push your numbers up.
And then there is the problem with insulin resistance once our levels get high - once high we need more insulin to bring us back down. Our basal may not be doing its job properly due to that insulin resistance.

My advice would be to start by bringing your levels down and then you can eliminate the possible causes.

Welcome @Type1Janner 🙂 When you got the lows on the Libre, did you fingerprick to verify them? The Libre can be subject to compression lows (pressure on it) especially at night, eg if you lie on it.

How long have you had Type 1? What basal/long-acting insulin do you take? Perhaps the 5 units was too big a reduction?
Hi I have been diagnosed for a few years now. I am currently on TouJeo was on something else that had a clock like dial that I had to inject every 12 hours. I actually called the diabetic helpline at the hospital and they tell me they are not worried, I am - waking up at 18 with a bad head, not knowing where I was and a very dry mouth - they say to go to 52 units.

I am - waking up at 18 with a bad head, not knowing where I was and a very dry mouth
What does your Libre graph show for overnight?
Yoiu could feel awful because you are high but you could be high due to a "hypo rebound". Looking at the numbers at a given time (when you get up) will not tell you this, only the history on the graphs.

Hi and welcome.

The more information about yourself and your diabetes management, the better we can understand your situation and make appropriate comment.

Things like...
How long have you been diagnosed?
Which insulins do you use?
When do you inject your basal (long acting) insulin?
What was your level when you woke up that you considered very high and what is your usual level?
How long before eating breakfast do you inject your meal time insulin?
When was your basal dose reduced and how frequently since have you seen these higher levels?

Understanding the limitations of Libre is really important and particularly with low and high levels, you should double check with a finger prick because Libre can report false lows like compression lows when you lie on the sensor in your sleep.... and exaggerate the highs to be higher than they actually are, so it is best to finger prick before calculating a correction dose. Once you understand these limitations, Libre is brilliant for many people, but there are some people whose body chemistry doesn't suit it and if that is the case then other options are available. @helli very kindly and comprehensively composed a list of it's limitations and I will post a link below.

But yes, it is certainly possible that your reduction in long acting insulin is causing this change, particularly if it was not actually necessary. Also important to note that the seasons are changing and it is a little cooler and that can also impact long acting (basal insulin) needs.

Hi I have been diagnosed for a few years now. I am currently on TouJeo was on something else that had a clock like dial that I had to inject every 12 hours. I actually called the diabetic helpline at the hospital and they tell me they are not worried, I am - waking up at 18 with a bad head, not knowing where I was and a very dry mouth - they say to go to 52 units.

Yes, high sugar is very unpleasant. It’s good that they’ve put your Toujeo up to 52 units. Hopefully that will help. What fast/meal insulin do you take and do you know how to have a correction dose?

There are a number of unpleasant viruses around at the moment, so maybe you’re coming down with something.

Yes, high sugar is very unpleasant. It’s good that they’ve put your Toujeo up to 52 units. Hopefully that will help. What fast/meal insulin do you take and do you know how to have a correction dose?

There are a number of unpleasant viruses around at the moment, so maybe you’re coming down with something.
Yeah,, I seem to have the sniffles - so likely. I suppose going to an hospital appointment wearing a coat and a pair of shorts wasnt the best thing.

Sorry to hear that your BGs have been acting weird recently @Type1Janner

Hope your cold doesn’t come to anything much, amd your BGs settle down in the meantime.

Colds which affect my BGs always seem to need a bunch of tweaks to my doses at the beginning, and then unpicking all that and getting back towards (but never quite the same!)as it used to be at the other end

Is it a cold or could it be covid?
My mother has just tested positive (she kept a stash of tests when they were free) and said it is just like having a cold

Hi. Although Toujeo is a good Basal it lacks flexibility as it lasts more than 24 hours. If you can't find happy balance in what to inject. moving to something like Levemir may help? It typically needs a split dose to cover 24 hours but that enables you to split into different amounts which I do for morning and evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back