Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacen017

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi Guys!

I've been having some weird feelings lately and wondered if anyone had experienced the same thing?

The last few weeks I've been unable to get comfortable. I feel like I can feel every hair on my body, kinda like my skins crawling. My scalp feels like it's been sunburned all the time and when it's touched I feel like someone is stabbing me with little needles.

Do you think this is related to the diabetes and my glucose levels being normal again for the first time in a long time? Or should I be looking at other causes?

Thanks in advance!
J

Hi Guys!

I've been having some weird feelings lately and wondered if anyone had experienced the same thing?

The last few weeks I've been unable to get comfortable. I feel like I can feel every hair on my body, kinda like my skins crawling. My scalp feels like it's been sunburned all the time and when it's touched I feel like someone is stabbing me with little needles.

Do you think this is related to the diabetes and my glucose levels being normal again for the first time in a long time? Or should I be looking at other causes?

Thanks in advance!
J
I think I might be looking at other causes although it could be related to changes in blood glucose levels which has made your skin more sensitive.
It also could be an allergic reaction to something, have you changed the washing detergent you use or shower gel.
It would be worth having a word with your GP or diabetic nurse or even the pharmacist.

I have certainly experienced that skin crawling thing after about 6 months from diagnosis I think. It went on for weeks. I was convinced I had picked up some microscopic mites or lice from the horses or chickens but I hadn't and I do think it was related to my diabetes, as it eventually subsided. I found it worst on my scalp and face and I just felt "loppy" if you know what I mean. There were times that I went into the bathroom and leaned over the basin and ruffled my hair to see if anything dropped out, I was getting so convinced that my skin was crawling with "something" It was weird. Hopefully it is the same for you and it will pass. Thinking about it, it may have been about the time they took me off Metformin, which could just be coincidence but Metformin is known to inhibit the absorption of vitamin B and that is involved in the repair of nerves, so maybe it was nerves repairing after my high BG levels had damaged them. It was a rather uncomfortable period.

I recommend getting that checked out as soon as possible.
Last year I got shingles. It felt like my skin was burning and itchy but not in a way I wanted to scratch. Thankfully, it was caught quickly and wasn’t too bad. I was told I needed to get anti-virals within 48 hours of the symptoms starting.
The weird thing about shingles is that will only appear on one side of the body. If your symptoms have “crossed your spin”, you can probably discount shingles but still work getting it checked.

The only “diabetes related” thing I have heard about along those lines is a reaction to the insulin. But it sounds unrelated to a non doctor like me.

Thanks guys!

It sounds like what rebrascora has described bit I'm going to see if I can speak to my go to rule out something else.
I have certainly experienced that skin crawling thing after about 6 months from diagnosis I think. It went on for weeks. I was convinced I had picked up some microscopic mites or lice from the horses or chickens but I hadn't and I do think it was related to my diabetes, as it eventually subsided. I found it worst on my scalp and face and I just felt "loppy" if you know what I mean. There were times that I went into the bathroom and leaned over the basin and ruffled my hair to see if anything dropped out, I was getting so convinced that my skin was crawling with "something" It was weird. Hopefully it is the same for you and it will pass. Thinking about it, it may have been about the time they took me off Metformin, which could just be coincidence but Metformin is known to inhibit the absorption of vitamin B and that is involved in the repair of nerves, so maybe it was nerves repairing after my high BG levels had damaged them. It was a rather uncomfortable period.

Hope the feelings subside soon @Jacen017 and you can get some relief from it - sounds very unpleasant.

Hi Guys!

Thanks in advance!
J
so weird as this brought something back to me, a good while before my diagnosis I had exactly the same thing and I never connected it to diabetes as it disappeared as my sugars improved and I’d forgotten all about it. Basically my scalp would go through these cycles, feeling burnt and sore, changed shampoos and everything even bought some medicated stuff which made it worse! Then I would feel like my head was crawling. My daughters would have to routinely check my head for lice most days, they would be like.. mum there is nothing there and I would be convinced there must be.

That happened to my lower legs not long after diagnosis and after starting low carb thus drastically reducing blood sugars, but it wasn't too problematic as it was only at night on occasions.
Now rare. The feeling was as you describe, like sunburn and being stabbed all over the area with random pin pricks. Someone on the forum said it was probably the nerves getting a bit upset at the sugar level change and could be a sign of them repairing, so took comfort from that.

Just an update on this incase anyone else experiences it:

Diagnosed as neuropathy, brought on by dropping my BG to fast initially (119 - 48 in 2 months).

I've been given Amitriptyline which has definitely taken the edge off! I can touch the area now without yelping in pain but a background ache remains.

The diabetes team are confident it should fade away over the next few months as long as I continue to keep my BG in range so fingers crossed!

Thanks to everyone who offered advice earlier🙂

I hope that things settle down for you soon @Jacen017 and thanks for the update.

Just an update on this incase anyone else experiences it:

Diagnosed as neuropathy, brought on by dropping my BG to fast initially (119 - 48 in 2 months).

I've been given Amitriptyline which has definitely taken the edge off! I can touch the area now without yelping in pain but a background ache remains.

The diabetes team are confident it should fade away over the next few months as long as I continue to keep my BG in range so fingers crossed!

Thanks to everyone who offered advice earlier
Awesome news 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back