Really struggling - or just teething problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

glodee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
:confused:
I've been on insulin for just over a month now. Been trying hard to carb count - ratio 1:15. This seems to work beautifully occasionally, like when I had wholemeal lasagne for example and fail miserably at others. Had Chicken kiev, home made chips and a spoonful of beans last night. Took 4 units of apidra, and was 6.8 at the 2 hour mark. Had a couple of wholemeal crackers & a small banana before bed and woke up at 3 for the loo and reading was 20.1!!!!!!
I rang my DSN the other day and have felt really down in the dumps since as she mentioned 'complying' with a diabetic diet. I thought I was (in the main) It can be very tricky at work (in the canteen, or sandwich shop), but I've been logging and testing religiously. So I'm wondering if these spikes will level out over time (does it really take this long?) or I'm missing something? I was on meds for 4 years before starting insulin and didn't get such high numbers with such frequency, though they were creeping up in the months before the change to insulin.I have had several hypos too in this time. I feel at a loss.....Sheesh!!

Hi I'm not an expert on insulin as I'm on pills. Many people have talked about a honeymoon period where the pancreas starts to work a bit again, but it varies from person to person.

Sometimes bananas will cause a spike as they are naturaly sweet.

Lots of people carb cound and there are ideas in the food/recipes thread. You might like to ask if you can go on a Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating course if you haven't already been on one.

Did you check your BM before bed before your snack? You may have found it had risen then.

I was told that if your Blood Sugars are more than 7 at bed you don't need a snack.

Try weighing the banana and find out how many carbs were in it. I find what I see as small have about 25g in it, they can have 40 to 50 depending on the size. Then there are the crackers. You may also have eaten after your short acting insulin had worn off so there was nothing to cover the banana and crackers

Hope you get it sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back