really poorly need advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

recyclequeen

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
hi all

i have been really poorly all week, but this morning i took a turn for the worse. i have a hacking cough, and it turns out i have something called bacteria tracilitus or a throat and chest infection. called out cumbria health on call and the doctor gave me anti biotics and steroids, 3 antibiotics a day and 6 steriods a day, havent eaten a great deal either

explained to the doc that i was type 2 and he said that i should keep an eye on my levels at least while i am recovering, but i have just taken my blood sugar 1 hour ago and it was 17.1 i was wondering if this could be the steriods he has put me on.

any advise would be grateful

i took the steriods at 12.45 pm

thanks angie

Hi Angie, yes - its the steroids and also the infection sends your levels off the scale! Drink lots and lots of water - this helps to bring levels down. If your levels go over 25 or more - ring NHS direct for advice. Hope you feel better soon.🙂Bev

p.s. You need to check for ketones when your high - do you have a meter or some sticks to check?

hi bev

hi bev

thanks for that should i continue to take the steriods or should i stop them completely

and yes i do have ketone sticks

thanks again angie

If your doc has given them to you - then you do need to take them i would think. They dont give out steroids lightly as they are so strong. Have you checked for ketones?🙂Bev

hi

i have just retested again and it is now 18.7 i am just going to do my ketones now.

angie

Thats good then - just keep drinking water. Sorry i cant remember, are you on meds or insulin?🙂Bev

hi recyclequeen when are you next due to see dsn? i think the additional med are making you higher what are you normally like?

hi am 64

hi there

too poorly at the moment to see dsn, even though mine are no good at all been in contact withv cuedoc they have told me that the high levels are due to the infection i have and the steriods they have had to put me on.

he has told me to test my blood sugar 4 times a day along with my ketones he has said that i will be fine as long as i don't go above 20 but ideally he would like it below 17

i am usually between 5 and 7 he also said that if i have any problems to call immedietly

angie

do you tend to be asthmatic aswell re chest infection..why they got you on steriiods ? cos although they do alot of good in the healing..they can also make you feel crap...stick with regieme but realise that the med can, whilst making you better, can make you feel rough ..if that makes any sense? butIm T2 normally 5-7 ....so to get those readings would make me feel rough...and concerned..keep drinking that water and in contact with NHS DIRECT over weekend ..if the levels stay that high contact gp monday xx good luck hun xx🙂

thanks am64

i am asthmatic have been since i was 15 (47 now) i am also epileptic and have rheumatoid arthritis so i now i have to watch levels and am already on it wil keep everyone posted and will contact doc if i need too

thanks for everyones advise

angie

hey angie
my son is asthmatic and the latest cold/infection they kept him off the anti bios and steriods he only has to use his brown puffer as well as blue to keep him clear ...its a nasty bug hun xxx but you'll get thro...you in maryport?..i remember oh some 35 years ago coming there on a holiday ..and the geese were flying in V formation over the solway fiirth as the sun set ...wow lovely part of the country you are in xx

Hi, hope by now you are feeling a bit better. I was put on steroids some time ago and my blood sugar shot through the roof so I would think that's what's causing yours to be so high. Do keep checking those ketones, I've just recovered from DKA and am still testing regularly. All the best, get well soon.xx

thought i would bring you up to date with everything

i am feelin g a whole lot better now thanks everyone blood sugar levels are under control now as are my ketones. still coughing like a trooper, but i have improved so much today, i even have my voice back, which means i can ring my dad tomorrow to find out how my mum is getting on. (mum is in a care home in kent as she is in the final stages of dementia)

thanks to everyone who gave me advise.

angie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back