Really good dietician appointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flutterby

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yesterday I went for my appt with the dietician, the one I had asked for as nobody else seemed bothered what I ate after the stroke!

She was really nice and had lots of helpful suggestions, gave me a booklet with carb values with a space to write my own portion sizes down as she knew I was having memory problems. Told me that plant sterols can be helpful in reducing cholesterol levels but when she looked at my records she said that my cholesterol isn't that bad as I've lots of "good for you" cholesterol. She said my diet is already very healthy and suggested a few changes but said that really she would be "nit picking" if she found fault in any way. She told me as well that I shouldn't go without the occasional treat like my naughty white choc cheesecake at my christmas meal! The basic theme that came through was that this stroke was so hard to predict so no matter what we do we can't guarantee anything so enjoy your life as much as you can and don't take tablets that make you ill and don't deny yourself some pleasures. I know that might sound a bit downhearted but to be honest it makes sense to me. I shall have to try the next statin I suppose just to say I've tried it but any more problems and they can stick them where the sun doesn't shine! I will take my chances.

It was a pleasure to meet such a nice woman yesterday, glad I asked to see her.:D

The dietician sounds very helpful and understanding, which is brilliant. It's also brilliant you are doing so much to help yourself too.

So pleased the appointment went well she sounds like a good ally. x

Glad that went so well. I agree that we should all treat ourselves sometimes, and personally agree with the saying 'its not how LONG you live but how MUCH you live...'

Take care x

Thank you for your comments, after the awful Physio appt it was nice to get someone helpful. She talked a lot of sense. Carolyn, that is a good saying, and shocks like this wake you up to what's important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back