Reactive Hypoglycaemia and struggling

RobJay

Hi
I have recently been diagnosed this Reactive Hypoglycaemia, and have been struggling and unable to work for the last 2 weeks.
I have purchased a CGM to try and get my bearings on how too manage this.

Any advice on strategies or reference books would be very welcome, particularly on the type of things to eat.
Currently I am unable to maintain my blood glucose level through the day, when I eat a meal and then my blood glucose drops directly after,
I am at a loss what action to take.

Many thanks

Are you keeping a log of what you are eating and your blood sugars? That would help you to spot whether it is high carb foods that your body over reacts to and sends you low, or if it’s means with less carbs in. You might also spot whether it’s certain types of carbs that do it.

I think keeping a food diary alongside your BG results as @Lucyr suggests would be helpful.

My (limited) understanding is that reactive hypo glycaemia is often the result of an over-reaction to a rapid increase in blood glucose levels following a meal. There are different phases of insulin release, and if the 'first phase' doesn't fire correctly BG levels can rapidly rise, which in some people can mean that the 'second phase' over-compensates.

Eating foods which have a lower carb load, or a more gentle release of carbohydrates might be helpful?

Were you given any advice or recommendations by whoever gave you the diagnosis?

thankyou both for you reply, I have purchased a continuous glucose monitor and I am logging all my food, I think porridge was a trigger so have cut that out, and reduced my carbs. NHS dietician gave me advise at diagnosis which was reduce carbs or ideally don't eat them at all. I am still struggling to find list of suitable meals / snacks to prepare for each day.

I am still struggling to find list of suitable meals / snacks to prepare for each day.

If a low carb approach has been recommended, you might find some of the threads in the Food and Carb Queries section helpful. Many members who post there opt for a low carb approach.

Other frequently recommended resources you could browse would be the Diabetes UK low carb meal plan

And the NHS Freshwell project

Good luck in finding a way of eating that works for you, and helps reduce your reactive hypos.

Back