Reactions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndasw

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
There was a thread a few days ago about having to tell people you have diabetes, something I am still in the process of doing. My worst fear was telling my mother who is 80 who had cared and watched my father suffer from it for years. But the whole its been fine with family (even my mother)and friends but I have had some surprising comments, mainly due to peoples ignorance of this condition. The two worst were:
- Oh diabetes... is that where you have to eat lots of sugary stuff? (eek: er no!!)
and
- Oh no you poor thing! How awful I'm sure you will recover from it soon... (if only 🙄)

So have you had any strange comments on the 'D' word? 🙂

Hi Lynda yea i have had the obvious oh steff right i wont eat chocolate around you , or goodness what am i going to get you for your birthday now you cant have choccies lol, I laugh them all off

My mothers reaction was along the lines of well you only have yourself to blame, hubby made big boy ( I was diagnosed before little feller arrived) put all of his chocolate out of my site and things like sugar and jam were banished from the kitchen and I've even been asked if it's catching...

yes the worst i had someone say to me you only have your lifestyle to blame for it? lol😱

I once got asked which type I had but the two types were not type 1 or type 2 but they type where you have too much sugar in your blood or the type where you have too little... They wouldn't accept that their second case wasn't a type but a result of too much medication /too little cho.

I was asked that same thing Margie when I was first diagnosed. I think it might be people getting confused with people with diabetes needing glucose to treat hypos.

Thats what I thought but he insisted his mother had had the type where your sugars are too low. No point arguing. At first I thought he was going to ask about diabetes insipidus - which I had come across because someone I knew was in danger of developing because of other conditions.

I got asked not long ago if I still had diabetes.........er....yep I will always have it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back