Reaction to Metformin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel_1989

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
anybody had some sort of reaction to metformin? i dont know if it is the tablets but since taking them (started them on friday) ive got loads of red lumps on me..like insect bites but not exact same but thats the most easiest way to describe them. there mainly on legs but today during in uni they have started on my side too..the lumps are red but its also red around them too, but unsure if thats due to me itching them? there so itchy and cant think what else it could be. there in like groups too in some parts such as top of my leg. there driving me crazy!

xx

I would call your GP out of hours if necessary or go to a drop in centre. It could be completely unrelated but hives, rashes are described on the PIL as a potential allergic reaction that you should speak to your Dr about immediately.

Hopefully its completely unrelated but best be on the safe side.

Thanks..i might give NHS direct a call. my drop in centre is closed now =/

xx

Hope you managed to get advice, sounds like you are having an alergic reaction. See your doctor as soon as possible too.

Still had to take my metformin today cos My dsn wasnt available..but left my number an a message about what's happened as she rang back when I was in a lecture but left a voicemail and she said she doubts it's the metformin because she has never heard of it happening before an a rash isn't a side effect of it even though it says it on the Internet :/

Gonna ring her again tomorrow
Xx

Still had to take my metformin today cos My dsn wasnt available..but left my number an a message about what's happened as she rang back when I was in a lecture but left a voicemail and she said she doubts it's the metformin because she has never heard of it happening before an a rash isn't a side effect of it even though it says it on the Internet :/

Gonna ring her again tomorrow
Xx
Hi rach hoep you get through to your dsn, id never go by what the internet says if i did i should of been dead by the age of 25, take it with a pinch of salt hun.

Rachel have a read of the patient information leaflet you got with the metformin. I have a copy of the slow release version which tends to produce milder side effects and it clearly says that skin rashes, itching and hives are a possible though rare side effect. It does say it effects less than 1 in 10,000 people and I doubt that your DSN has had 10,000 patients.

If you take a look at the Patient information leaflet it should confirm that this is a possible side effect. Found an electronic version accessible on this page
http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/18748/PIL/metformin%20500mg,%20850mg%20film-coated%20tablets%20(wockhardt%20uk%20ltd)/

It says rashes are a rare side-effect and do happen and to seek your Drs advise as to whether you should continue.

sitting here reading the leaflet that came with mine rash`s are a side effect go see your doc ,when i was first given me diabetic meds i had terrible bowel problems, it took them 3 month to find out it was the flamin simvistatin i was having a reaction against ,hope they get you fixed up right away ,

If you can't get hold of the DSN, see your doctor.

my dsn emailed me saying for me to see my GP to get it 'checked out' if im concerned but she doubts its the metformin still. but today it seems to have reduced alot. but still there but not as red or as itchy. i cant even say its a 'rash' its like little red itchy spots/lumps ..dont really know how to describe them :confused:

gonna see how i go tonight and if any more come im going to make an emergency appointment with my GP tomorrow morning.

thanks for the advice 🙂

Sounds like an allergy.

Thinking about it a bit more, have you changed anything in your diet? Sometimes things like soap powder or fabric conditioner, or the soap you wash with can have a similar reaction.

It is still worth having a chat to your doctor.

hi Caroline,
nope not changed anything different, i thought of everything before i began thinging if it was the metformin, i started them on friday and think they first started about sunday =/ .. gonna see how they are tomorrow morning an then go an see dr if more appear.

thanks for your message 🙂

I got the leaflet out of my metformin box and it definitely says that skin rashes, redness, itching and hives ARE a side effect! So I would get back to your GP.

my dsn emailed me again and said that she has spoke to my consultant at teh hospital and he said try to percivere with the rash and also been feeling quite sick but she said that will pass in due course (please hope this is soon as im full time at university and part time work in supermarket which isnt best of things when i feel really sick :(

the rash has gone down lots though..thanks for all the messages :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back