Re my background insulin and i:c ratios - please can I have some help to see if I need to change anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Re my background insulin and i:c ratios - please can I have some help to see if I need to change anything because on my own I find it so hard to know if and when I need to change anything because my bgls are never consistent and what I physically do each day and eat each day are never the same.

Have you done a basal test if you think your background insulin is not at the right dose?

Have you done a basal test if you think your background insulin is not at the right dose?

I've never ever done a basal test. Tbh a few years ago I had one of my then diabetic nurses say "you don't need to bother with all that stuff" and since then over the years whenever I've been for appointments with diabetic nurses they just look at my bgls from however many weeks they spot any patterns and tell me if anything might need a very simple change.

TBH basal testing is the key as far as I'm concerned. Never suggested.by Consultant or DSN No idea if they approve or not. It's none of their business IMHO.

If you want to know if your basal dose is right, basal testing is the best way.

I've never ever done a basal test.

Might be worth a go this time to see if it’s your background or your meal doses that are out of kilter Gill?

How have things been going with your BGs recently?

It is expensive (if not on NHS) but the Libre system shows you your BG progression after meals and insulin and caused me to go from a 58 unit basal to a 28 basal. DM nurses can only guess what is happening to you from occasional tests. I'm sure that they do their best, however better data means better results

It is expensive (if not on NHS) but the Libre system shows you your BG progression after meals and insulin and caused me to go from a 58 unit basal to a 28 basal. DM nurses can only guess what is happening to you from occasional tests. I'm sure that they do their best, however better data means better results
Gill has tried the Libre but it just became slightly confusing between that and finger pricks for her and wasn't sure how to use the data as an advantage so decided not to continue with it xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back