Re Metformin slow release 2 x 500. Can these be taken together once a day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny105

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I read somewhere that Metformin slow release can be taken in one dose. Is this fact?
I was out at midday recently and forgot to take 1x 500gm . By the time I remembered it was early evening and wasnt due to eat agin that day? Once a day would be helpful.

I read somewhere that Metformin slow release can be taken in one dose. Is this fact?
I was out at midday recently and forgot to take 1x 500gm . By the time I remembered it was early evening and wasnt due to eat agin that day? Once a day would be helpful.
I think the general rule is to follow what your GP has instructed on the prescription and discuss with him/her any changes you might like to make. Logically, however, I’d have thought one tablet will be absorbed over half the day, then you take another - take two and you’re absorbing twice what you should for half a day and nothing for the other half of the day. This isn’t medical advice, just my logic.

I think the general rule is to follow what your GP has instructed on the prescription and discuss with him/her any changes you might like to make. Logically, however, I’d have thought one tablet will be absorbed over half the day, then you take another - take two and you’re absorbing twice what you should for half a day and nothing for the other half of the day. This isn’t medical advice, just my logic.
That really isn’t how it works. Metformin works very slowly and builds up over time it doesn’t work just for the half a day after taking it. They are recommended to be taken once a day not twice, though it doesn’t cause any harm to take it split into two doses there’s just no benefit in splitting it. It should explain that it’s recommended to take once a day, usually with your evening meal, on the leaflet inside the box.

That really isn’t how it works. Metformin works very slowly and builds up over time it doesn’t work just for the half a day after taking it. They are recommended to be taken once a day not twice, though it doesn’t cause any harm to take it split into two doses there’s just no benefit in splitting it. It should explain that it’s recommended to take once a day, usually with your evening meal, on the leaflet inside the box.
I agree with this, standard metformin best spread out, but slow/extended/prolonged release are fine taken all at once, at whatever time suits you. I was told this by the prescrining Nurse Practioner, and told I could take all 4 500mg tablets together. The timing really isn't crucial with slow release - split the dose, take together, take later in the day if you forget at normal time, it does not matter!

Thanks for all the replies. I started out with the standard 2x a day and suspect my GP didn't think about once a day when the type was changed... I'm due for a phone call next week I'll ask her. Also my pharmacist has known me for over 30yrs so she can input as well.

Thanks for all the replies.
I started out with the standard form @ 2x a day and suspect my GP didn't think about once a day when the type was changed to SR... I'm due for a Dr phone call next week I'll ask her. Also my pharmacist has known me for over 30yrs so she can input as well.

I wonder why someone is prescribed 2 X 500 tablets and others 1X 1000 tablet
Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back