• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

Re-cycling

H.A.R.D.

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
A number of our group members have been asking if there is any place that re-cycles blood glucose meters and I have spent half the night on Google looking for someplace with no success. Has anyone out there heard of anyone who could re-cycle blood glucose meters?

I've seen on American forums that there are places that take them to give to people without medical insurance etc. I doubt theres anything similar here as , despite various criticisms of the nhs, we don't have the same issues here. Although maybe there is some scheme where they can be sent to other countries? Your best bet could be to contact somewhere like the red cross or similar, or email on of the companies that make them and see what they suggest.

A

I feel guilty about the amount of blood gloucouse moniters i waste, and the amount of plasic needle caps that I use, it is such a waste.
My father is a pharmacist, and I asked him and he said that he hasnt heard of any schemes to re-cycle blood gloucouse moniters :(

I think i will ask my nurse at my next appt. though!

When you look at the cost of monitors and the cost of test strips you could have four monitors for the price of 50 strips.

The only references I could find were ref electrical goods at recycling (waste disposal) facilities where electrical goods are handled separately and not dumped in landfill. Only reference i could find on 'google'.
Most are powered by cells which are high in the toxic elements so at least take the cells to the recycling unit.
http://www.recycle-more.co.uk/Default.aspx?referer=www.superliving.co.uk

Last edited:
There should be places to recycle these things or recondition old ones and give them to people in other countries maybe who are not as lucky as us to have a health service. I mean, you can recycle mobile phones so why not meters?

Recycling

A couple of ideas for no longer wanted blood glucose meters: Freecycle (local groups - almost any items can be offered / taken, for no cost) and mountain / cave rescue teams / lifeboats etc - they carry blood glucose meters during rescues.

I just emailed a few people and the Red Cross got back to me remarkably quickly. This is what they said:

"Many thanks for your email and interest in the British Red Cross.

When responding to an emergency, whenever possible, the Red Cross will buy the items we need in the affected country or in the region. This benefits the local economy (by helping local markets and traders) and more easily takes into account local tastes, traditions and culture.

Local purchasing also assists with reducing transport costs and speeding delivery times. Very often the cost of transporting a 'free' donation from the UK is more than the total value of the donation itself.

If you have unwanted goods to donate, you may like to take them to your local Red Cross Shop, or pass them to another charity. Global Hand is an organisation that matches offers of gifts with aid organisations that potentially need them. You can make the offer available on their website at: www.globalhand.org

Many thanks,

Information Resources

British Red Cross
www.redcross.org.uk"

I am sure I have read before that places wont take them for hygiene reasons.

Yes my meter company Accuchek wrote back today and said there was no way of recycling meters because "they are using blood to take a measurement and there would be a risk of crosscontamination". Medecins sans Frontieres did not want meters either.

Back