Ray type2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackHeart

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone, never done this before, managed for some years with good diabetes contol whilst working. Now retired things going slightly wrong, less exercise!!!

Welcome to the forum 🙂

Hi and welcome from me too.

Can you tell us a bit about how your diagnosis originally came about ie Routine blood test or perhaps symptomatic and if so which symptoms.... And how you have been managing it up until now? ie. medication and if so what, or through diet and exercise?
Has your HbA1c increased significantly?

Being less active can certainly have an impact on diabetes and obviously this time of year with all the goodies on offer doesn't help along with short days slowing down our metabolism.

Anyway, whatever the reason for things going a bit awry with your diabetes management, hopefully we can support you to get it back on track again soon.

That is pretty well what happened to me, retired so less exercise as I had an active job and of course the piece of cake with an afternoon cuppa, lunch every day when I often didn't have time for lunch before so moved from prediabetic to just over the threshold.
I reduced carbs to 70g per day a bit too quickly in hindsight but managed to get back to normal in 3 months. I followed the principals in this link which many have found successful.

I had a routine follow up blood test because the company l worked for on motorways provided workplace medicals, to ensure fitness in the workplace, mine through up protein in the urine, blood test at surgery confirmed glucose intolerance, given a year to control it by diet alone but ended up up on medication.
This started back in 2015 control was good, unfortunately aswell as retiring, suffered a heart attack 2020, totally life changing. Heart condition ok now but diabetes struggling to stay in control
Many thanks for everyone coming back.

What is your most recent HbA1c result and what medication do you take for your diabetes?

Have you made any changes to your diet since diagnosis as that will often have a bigger impact than most medication?

Sorry to hear about your heart attack but good to hear that you have recovered well. Getting your diabetes under control will be important for your cardiovascular system, so that needs to be a priority and getting out for a regular walk if you are able.

What sort of things do you typically beat and drink for breakfast, lunch and evening meal and any snacks?

The two main lifestyle approaches to tackling Type 2 diabetes are .....
1. To lose weight.... The Newcastle/Fast 800 diet has been tried and tested as an effective means of reversing Type 2 in 50% of patients.

2. To follow a low carb way of eating for the rest of your life. This means cutting down on not just the sweet stuff but also bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, breakfast cereals and the sweeter more exotic fruits. It sounds a bit dire but is actually really tasty once you get your head around it all. This is my choice and nearly 4 years down the line with it, it has become normal for me and I feel far fitter and healthier than I have done for years and I really enjoy my food.

If you give us an idea of what you currently eat, we can make suggestions for how you can reduce your carb intake, but it is important to let us know what medication you are taking for your diabetes because low carb is very powerful and you would need to reduce or adjust certain meds, if you reduced your carb intake.

Last edited:
That is pretty well what happened to me, retired so less exercise as I had an active job and of course the piece of cake with an afternoon cuppa, lunch every day when I often didn't have time for lunch before so moved from prediabetic to just over the threshold.
I reduced carbs to 70g per day a bit too quickly in hindsight but managed to get back to normal in 3 months. I followed the principals in this link which many have found successful.
Tell me leadinglights, do I have to reply to each email individually, being new at this l don't want to miss anyone out thanks

What is your most recent HbA1c result and what medication do you take for your diabetes?

Have you made any changes to your diet since diagnosis as that will often have a bigger impact than most medication?

Sorry to hear about your heart attack but good to hear that you have recovered well. Getting your diabetes under control will be important for your cardiovascular system, so that needs to be a priority and getting out for a regular walk if you are able.

What sort of things do you typically beat and drink for breakfast, lunch and evening meal and any snacks?

The two main lifestyle approaches to tackling Type 2 diabetes are .....
1. To lose weight.... The Newcastle/Fast 800 diet has been tried and tested as an effective means of reversing Type 2 in 50% of patients.

2. To follow a low carb way of eating for the rest of your life. This means cutting down on not just the sweet stuff but also bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, breakfast cereals and the sweeter more exotic fruits. It sounds a bit dire but is actually really tasty once you get your head around it all. This is my choice and nearly 4 years down the line with it, it has become normal for me and I feel far fitter and healthier than I have done for years and I really enjoy my food.

If you give us an idea of what you currently eat, we can make suggestions for how you can reduce your carb intake, but it is important to let us know what medication you are taking for your diabetes because low carb is very powerful and you would need to reduce or adjust certain meds, if you reduced your carb intake.
Hi, thanks for your well wishes. I eat 2 weetabix with minimum milk (breakfast) sometimes, not always, light lunch toasted sandwich, maybe cheese, mostly chicken or ham,, recently with apple or pear. Evening meal, fish, chicken, lean mince, being the main ingredients, with veg or pasta. Sometimes a desert of jelly (sugar free) and fresh fruit. I try to walk daily, also invested in an excersise bike but need a more comfortable seat. Not sure last bs readings but increased meds from 1 x metformin, to 1 x met plus 1 x empagliflozin, that was a blow and disappointing, hence taking this step with the forum, because its not going away without my personal management

Tell me leadinglights, do I have to reply to each email individually, being new at this l don't want to miss anyone out thanks
It is up to you, but you will be more likely to get a reply to a specific question related to that post if you do but otherwise no need.
You can just comment or ask in the new box in the thread.
It can sometimes get confusing as to who is replying to what.
You will get the hang of it.

Knowing the actual numbers is really important as knowledge is power, so I would find out what your actual results are and what they were before, so you have an idea of how much they have increased. Your diet sounds healthy for a non diabetic person, but there is room for improvement with reducing carbs from a diabetic point of view. Unfortunately the Flozin medication means that you need to be careful with reducing your carbs. Are you just on 1x Metformin a day? That is a very low dose and would normally be increased to a max of 4 a day before another medication was added. Just wondering if there is room for you to go back to the doc and swap out the Empagliflozin for more Metformin or just a trial period of say 3 months of dietary changes.

The thing is that all carbohydrates get broken down into glucose by your digestive system and absorbed into the blood stream and as diabetics we have difficulty removing it, so whatever carbs we eat cause our levels to rise. Whilst most people think that diabetes is all about sugar, our bodies break down starchy carbs into glucose too. So those 2 Weetabix (26g carbs) you have for breakfast have the same amount of glucose in them as nearly 6 teaspoons of sugar and your average medium slice of wholemeal bread is about 15g carbs, so a 2 slice sandwich or toastie is the equivalent of another 6 teaspoons of sugar. You could half the carbs in your breakfast by having natural Greek yoghurt with berries and seeds or scrambled eggs on just one small slice of toast. I really enjoy an omelette with a large side salad and a big dollop of coleslaw. Mushrooms and onions and peppers or whatever else I have that needs using up goes in the omelette and that is very low carb and really filling and I don't need any bread to mop up a runny yolk with an omelette. If I have that as brunch, I don't need any lunch, so I can easily get by on 2 meals a day which dramatically reduces my carb intake and I can vary the fillings or the salad components to make it interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back