ray needs advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

duty 29

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
had my first session at diabetes clinic last night I think the nurse was in hurry to
get home as she told me she had not got the time to go into detail , just did the
basic chat and formalities we will complete on my next appointment in two
weeks :confused: in the meantime can any of you kind folks out there help by
recommending a sweetner a suitable spread also some snacky things starving
i would welcome your help ta

Nuts!:D :DNuts are low carb and good for you, also peanut butter is good as a spread. I tend not to use sweetener much nowadays, but Splenda is popular.

I think it's very poor when people get the brush off like you did Ray, especially when you are new to it and would really benefit from a good, proper conversation. Try to stay away from the cakes and biscuits fr the next couple of weeks, eat wholegrain bread, stuff like porridge is good for breakfast, fruit is OK, but fruit juice will raise your levels quickly. If you can manage some daily exercise, that will also be good for you - half hour walks are fine.

If I can't have real sugar I tend not to use a sweetner at all.

I found a good place to look for spreads was the healthfood shop, although they do tend to be a little more expensive.

If you are looking for food ideas look in the recipes thread.

Think the nurse was a bit off in not giving you all the time you need thoe. Next time you see her, make a list of all the things you want to know or ask and take a pad and pencil with you to write down all the things you need to remember.

Hi duty, I think standard advice is a basic healthy, low GI diet, but that doesn't help much if you haven't been given advice and information about that! Be careful with the low sugar stuff - I've found for example, that low-sugar baked beans tend to be higher in carbohydrates than normal ones.

whole earth peanut butter has NO sugar in it

If you have a mortar and pestal, you can make your own peanut butter by grinding up the peanuts and then add whatever flavourings you want. Things like salt and sugar are generally added to make things taste better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back