rant and confusion about hypos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

imtrying

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
had a hypo last night - blood test 3.3....doesn't sound too bad, but my god did I suffer. at the time I had such an increased heart rate, I thought my heart was going to beat out my chest, cold sweats, the works. couldn't shove sugar down me fast enough...half an hour later, BS was 3.1!! so had more sugar.

and I felt like i'd run a marathon afterwards - it really took it out of me :(

then just now, felt a little 'empty' for want of a better word, and I was 2.9.

but that was it....look at the difference in symptoms! and difference considering the variance in results! I would have thought they'd be the other way round!

I know, it's just one of those things, but seriously?!! and people wonder why it's so difficult!!

I did wonder last night if it was a case that I was dropping rapidly, rather than slowly and maybe I was actually lower than my blood let on....hmmm...

I would say that the rate you are dropping, for whatever reason that may be, is a big factor in your bodies response to low blood sugar......

From experience I would say that symptoms can varie from one day to the next, but taking an educated guess I would say your body might start giving you more extreme warning signals if it knew you were dropping fast as opposed to slow..........

I cant say i know what you went through as i seldom have hypos,i have plenty hypers and there bad enough, but i hope you feel better soon Katie xx.

I definitely agree with Novorapidboi - I think the speed at which you drop plays a big factor in how you feel. I also think it makes a difference if you're still dropping when you catch the hypo, as you seemed to be with the 3.3. Also remember that meter readings are an "ish" reading, and can be up to 20% off, so in that regard 3.3 and 2.,9 aren't really hugely different!

I agree with ANge and novorapidboi about the speed of dropping, i tend to feel worse on a novorapid hypo than a lantus one.
I also find that if I have some repeated hypos the symptoms reduce.

Def worse with a rapid drop but I also find that, if I 've been budy doing something, I tend be a lot calmer about a hypo.
Many times I've been working physically and thought about stopping to test but carried on for a bit, then tested well below 3. Quick nibble on something and a sit down and I'm fine.
If I wake up in the night, it's panic stations and my heart is beating out of my chest. Plus the cold sweats.

Not sure if there's something like adrenalin affecting the speed of response.

Rob

Agree with others about the speed in which you drop, but it is strange how sometimes you can treat a hypo and simply get on with things, and other times you can feel totally washed out afterwards. Toby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back