Random thoughts on the foot check

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have had three of these now by two different diabetes nurse. Seeing as there is a bit of space in my brain to think randomly, so the foot check dropped in. The first time it was a very gentle affair, 'close your eyes and say yes when you feel something'. All good,normal. 2nd time less so, still close your eyes and she thrust her foot checker needle in, less of a yes from me, more a loud ouch. All good, normal. The third test, was back to the gentle approach. All normal. My question is 'Do you think at the 2nd test, the nurse having a bad day?' Finally for the sheet entertainment of it, i have been trying to find the pulse in my ankle. The two nurses have always said, good strong pulse, so l know it is there, but where? Is finding it a bit like the kid's party game 'Stick the tail on the donkey?'

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have had three of these now by two different diabetes nurse. Seeing as there is a bit of space in my brain to think randomly, so the foot check dropped in. The first time it was a very gentle affair, 'close your eyes and say yes when you feel something'. All good,normal. 2nd time less so, still close your eyes and she thrust her foot checker needle in, less of a yes from me, more a loud ouch. All good, normal. The third test, was back to the gentle approach. All normal. My question is 'Do you think at the 2nd test, the nurse having a bad day?' Finally for the sheet entertainment of it, i have been trying to find the pulse in my ankle. The two nurses have always said, good strong pulse, so l know it is there, but where? Is finding it a bit like the kid's party game 'Stick the tail on the donkey?'
I have never had a needle with my feet checks, it has always been with multi-filment tickling thing, and a tuning fork.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
i’ve mostly had filament tickles, but occasionally the nurse has used more of a lancet type thing.

No idea of the reasons why different ones are chosen!

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ha! My nurse always says 'Good strong pulse' having groped around for ages. She says it’s notoriously difficult to find, and I can certainly never find my own, so I have to trust that she’s right!'
I get a spring loaded filament thingy, and she always leaves a gap in the middle of her jabbing, just to make sure I'm not saying 'yes' on autopilot.

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My pod uses a handheld doppler thing which gives an audio on the pulse - as she puts it, a happy gloompa-gloompa-gloomp! sound from the right ankle ankle, and a pathetic little blrrrp-blrrp-blrrp from the left.

Plus she uses a hot-cold probe thing for the toes. She used a filament probe for one session; no idea why she stopped doing that.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Ha! My nurse always says 'Good strong pulse' having groped around for ages. She says it’s notoriously difficult to find, and I can certainly never find my own, so I have to trust that she’s right!'
I get a spring loaded filament thingy, and she always leaves a gap in the middle of her a qui k look.jabbing, just to make sure I'm not saying 'yes' on autopilot.
Having failed miserably to locate my ankle pulse, i did wonder if both nurses actually found it. I sort of wonder if they had bit of a try, took a look at my feet, saw they were pink, my feet were warm and so they went for the good healthy pulse option. I had family members try and find their ankle pulse. Nope, they couldn't find it either. Googled it and still no joy.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My pod uses a handheld doppler thing which gives an audio on the pulse - as she puts it, a happy gloompa-gloompa-gloomp! sound from the right ankle ankle, and a pathetic little blrrrp-blrrp-blrrp from the left.

Plus she uses a hot-cold probe thing for the toes. She used a filament probe for one session; no idea why she stopped doing that.
You most probably have doppler as you have known artery disease.