Random testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahb83

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So briefly my journey so far is - diagnosis beginning of September hba1c 89, wasn’t prescribed any meds was told to get moving and lose weight so I did and am still doing had my hba1c repeated 22nd November and was down to 45 (out of diabetes range and into pre diabetic range) and am continuing to lose weight with only one blip of a 2lb gain over Christmas which I mashed my husbands head with panicking that I would have undone all the good work he’s tried his best to reassure me but I’m a living nightmare with the thoughts that go round and round in my head both him and my dad (who is also a type 2 diabetic) say I’m over thinking everything. This week I’ve lost 5lb so the 2lb gain at Christmas is back off plus an additional 3lb for good measure. Since diagnosis I’ve now lost 3st 12lb and have dropped 5 dress sizes. In an effort to calm me down yesterday my dad brought his machine thing down and tested my blood 2 hours after lunch my number was 7.4 and now I’m all panicky that that isn’t as good as it should be my best friend of 34 years is a doctor he’s an anaesthetist and he thinks my depression is now a greater problem/risk to me than type 2 diabetes. Is it normal to be this anxious and agitated being relatively newly diagnosed?

The main thing is you lost the weight straight away. You probably had a few extra carby foods over Xmas and carby foods are inclined to make you retain more fluid (2lbs is the equivalent to about 1 litre of liquid ). That is why when people reduce carbs in their diet they can lose weight quite quickly which is usually from the extra fluid they lose.

Your reading of 7.4 after lunch is well within normal range for after meal. If it is concerning you then test a few meals by testing before you eat and after 2 hours and if the increase is less than 2-3mmol/l then that is fine and again if below 8mmol/l post meal that is fine.

The main thing is you lost the weight straight away. You probably had a few extra carby foods over Xmas and carby foods are inclined to make you retain more fluid (2lbs is the equivalent to about 1 litre of liquid ). That is why when people reduce carbs in their diet they can lose weight quite quickly which is usually from the extra fluid they lose.

Your reading of 7.4 after lunch is well within normal range for after meal. If it is concerning you then test a few meals by testing before you eat and after 2 hours and if the increase is less than 2-3mmol/l then that is fine and again if below 8mmol/l post meal that is fine.
Yeah I had a slice of cheese cake on Christmas Day for pudding and have been panicking about it ever since

No offense, I can lose 2lb from weighting before and after going to the loo.
It's nothing.
All the numbers look good, you've lost nearly 4st, you are well down the road here.

Hello @sarahb83

Take a moment. Recognise how brilliantly well you have been doing.

You have made some amazing changes, and lost a very impressive amount of weight, which will hugely help your overall health.

These changes need to be sustainable and the changes you are making need to be something you can stick with - and for some people that will involve including occasional treats and more relaxed periods. Things you CHOOSE to enjoy, not feel backed into or forced to ‘join in with’. You choose, only you.

Diabetes is generally a slow-moving foe, and the overall picture is far more important than the impact of any occasional treats. (as long as they remain infrequent and don’t begin to creep in with increasing regularity!)

Well done. Give yourself the credit you deserve. 🙂

I heard a phrase on television tonight ' if you have a job you enjoy you will never feel you are doing a days work' and I thought it is very similar to thinking 'if you have a dietary regime you enjoy and suits you it will never feel like A DIET'.

Hello @sarahb83

Take a moment. Recognise how brilliantly well you have been doing.

You have made some amazing changes, and lost a very impressive amount of weight, which will hugely help your overall health.

These changes need to be sustainable and the changes you are making need to be something you can stick with - and for some people that will involve including occasional treats and more relaxed periods. Things you CHOOSE to enjoy, not feel backed into or forced to ‘join in with’. You choose, only you.

Diabetes is generally a slow-moving foe, and the overall picture is far more important than the impact of any occasional treats. (as long as they remain infrequent and don’t begin to creep in with increasing regularity!)

Well done. Give yourself the credit you deserve. 🙂
I have another 3st to lose to get my bmi to 25, I’m constantly panicking that the things I ate over Christmas are going to massively affect my next blood test at the end of February, so much so that I refused my starter and pudding on new years day (my husband always likes another big family dinner like Christmas on New Year’s Day) and didn’t have any potatoes or parsnips was just like a normal meal for me rather than a special dinner. 4 days after Christmas I turned to my husband said why did you let me eat that (as it’s his fault which clearly it isn’t it was my choice) David is just mystified as to why im so panicky about it all the time. My diabetic nurse did suggest to me that she thinks I need to speak to a councillor to get some perspective when I was diagnosed I’m now starting to think it might be worth a try

You certainly need to focus more on the fantastic positives you have achieved and to understand that all of us will have given ourselves a little treat over the festive season in one form or another. A piece of cheesecake on Christmas day is absolutely not going to register at all on your HbA1c result at the end of next month, so please forget it or remember it as an enjoyable treat on a special day but don't continue to beat yourself (and your husband) up for something so negligible and normal. If you can't do that then yes, seek some counselling because you have lost a healthy perspective on it.

Good luck. You really are doing brilliantly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back