Status
Not open for further replies.

pawprint91

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
image0.png
So for the past month, I would say on average every other day, my bg has risen around 9pm/10pm even when otherwise looking steady (usually I catch it before it hits 12 with a correction). However, on two occasions now it has now gone above 14. Pictured above is my graph from last night. Dinner was not a meal with a lot of fat or protein and was eaten around 6pm. I fell asleep at 9.30pm with bg saying 5.3 on finger prick about half an hour before that. You can see what happened ... woke up 2 hours later to find it was 14. As far as I'm aware I don't think I have delayed digestion issues - I certainly have never experienced rises like this before! Could it be hormonal? Or do I need to increase my basal - would 1u stop a rise to this degree? After I (over) treated it, you can see bg goes back up and is fairly steady until I got up at 7am. Any advice/experiences welcome - and thank you @rebrascora for encouraging me to post this - I've never shared a graph before! 🙂

What did you actually have for dinner, and what time?

What did you actually have for dinner, and what time?
Chicken kiev (with barbecue sauce, not garlic), potatoes and peas at 6pm. Edit to say that I had what I would consider a 'normal portion' - I also ate some easter egg, and then bolused afterwards as I wasn't intended to eat any but got carried away, hence why I think it hovered around the 4.9 mark for sometime on the graph, finger prick did actually say 3.9 but I only had one sip of orange juice around 8pm to fix this.

It certainly is a bit of a sneaky, cheeky whopper isn't it!! 🙄 Especially waiting until you nod off before it made an appearance!
You weren't having stressful dreams were you? Or watching a cliffhanger sports match or thriller. They can do that to me!

What time do you inject your basal insulin? I am right in thinking you are using split dose Levemir, aren't I?

Sometimes I get a spike like this on an evening for a few weeks off and on and I find bringing my evening Levemir dose forward helps, so that there is a bit more overlap of the evening dose with the morning dose. I normally inject my evening basal at 11pm, so bringing it forward to 7 or 8pm can really help. If you already inject at 7 or 8pm, then that isn't going to help. Maybe going for a short walk after your evening meal would knock it on the head.

I don't think increasing you evening basal dose is the answer because the rest of the night looks to be reasonably steady give or take what look like a couple of possible compression dips.

I don't think basal's the answer either. The only way I have found to deal with this type of thing for me, is to usually have either an extended or multiwave bolus for my dinner - but you can't do this with MDI so no help to you. You could try 40%/half/60% upfront and the rest about an hour later and see if that helps?

I suspect if you increase your basal you'll just end up going low in the night - I've had similar problems and increasing basal doesn't stop the post-meal spikes, it just means more hypos at other times.

The only things which work for me are pre-bolusing (to an extent, obviously you can't pre-bolus by half an hour when your blood sugar is already in the 4s before your meal), splitting my meals so I eat half and then eat the rest an hour or two later (not something you can really do with a chicken kiev), and doing something like the short walk @rebrascora suggested immediately after eating.

But I'm still getting RH-type spikes and crashes which look much like your graph every time I eat rice at the moment - no idea what's going on with that as I've been eating it for years with no problem, but wondering whether I might have to give it up now.

It certainly is a bit of a sneaky, cheeky whopper isn't it!! 🙄 Especially waiting until you nod off before it made an appearance!
You weren't having stressful dreams were you? Or watching a cliffhanger sports match or thriller. They can do that to me!

What time do you inject your basal insulin? I am right in thinking you are using split dose Levemir, aren't I?

Sometimes I get a spike like this on an evening for a few weeks off and on and I find bringing my evening Levemir dose forward helps, so that there is a bit more overlap of the evening dose with the morning dose. I normally inject my evening basal at 11pm, so bringing it forward to 7 or 8pm can really help. If you already inject at 7 or 8pm, then that isn't going to help. Maybe going for a short walk after your evening meal would knock it on the head.

I don't think increasing you evening basal dose is the answer because the rest of the night looks to be reasonably steady give or take what look like a couple of possible compression dips.
No dreams, sports matches or thrillers were happening :D

I actually injected around 9pm last night instead of my usual 10/11pm and I do think it helped - I didn't have the spike - so might bring it forward to 8.30pm tonight and see if that helps again! I also saw it was on the up (7.7 with the diagonal up arrow) so I decided to brave it with a couple of units of NR and that seems to have caught it, for last night at least!

@trophywench & @TheClockworkDodo if I keep going a bit low after dinner before the random climb, then I'll definitely try a split bolus, thank you both!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back