Random blood sugars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemase

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, for the last month or so I have been feeling unwell between the hours of six and seven every evening. Not sure why this little window. Decided last night to start testing my blood sugar during this time.
At half seven it was 6.7. I am currently on night shift. About one o clock I started to feel unwell. I tested it again and it was 4.0, in hypo range. I had eaten two hours before so not sure why it dropped. I had another sandwiche and a apple and it rose to 5.4 and I felt fine an hour later.
I got up two hours ago, had my normal breakfast. Just felt funny again, so tested again. This time it was 9.4. I cant understand why all of a sudden my blood sugar has become so erratic. I have never suffered before and have not changed my eating habits. The only change is I now work alternate days and nights. Any advice would be appreciated.

If you are male, this is irrelevant, but I was on a continuous glucose monitor for a few days and although normally you could seen nice curves up and down when I saw the printout, just before my period was due, it bacame very jagged and spikey. The results were plotted every ten minutes and I couldn't believe how much they jumped up and down.

I guess there's another reason then!

I would think that if your sleeping patterns are being disrupted (i.e. not what we evolved to cope with!), then all sorts of other hormones like dopamine and seratonin (think that's right!) are messed up too, so maybe they're playing a part - a lot of hormones affect the production and action of others.

I am putting it down to the new shift patterns. A few years ago I started suffering with stress headaches. They would come every so often and last for weeks at a time. Have not suffered for a couple of years with them since starting the new shifts in April they are back. Think I may need to dicuss these issues with my GP.
I am on a twelve hour nightshift again tonight so will monitor my levels again and see how it affects me.

I get the same and at the same times , wondering if it is beause it's my busiest time of day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back