Ran out of metaformin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblz82

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I ran out out Metformin last Thursday. I have been keeping an eye on my food and bloods and I have been normal for two days now...do I go back on my medication? Do I not? Do I go on it in the hope my next bloods show normal? I was 74, down to 54 then down to 52. Any advice would be good

Hi, I ran out out Metformin last Thursday. I have been keeping an eye on my food and bloods and I have been normal for two days now...do I go back on my medication? Do I not? Do I go on it in the hope my next bloods show normal? I was 74, down to 54 then down to 52. Any advice would be good
Nobody here is qualified to give medical advice, only unqualified opinions, so best to talk with yr doc.

As an unqualified opinion, I'd just start taking it again once I'd got some more. My understanding of metformin is that it's not a "quick fix" like insulin, it's something that runs in the background in your system. I certainly wouldn't just stop taking it without speaking to the doctor, especially as you are still in the diabetic zone at 52. I've run out of metformin just the once, and recommenced taking it as soon as my prescription came through. Hope this helps.

Thanks for replying, totally would be checking with the doctor before actually stopping. This is me thinking as I'd ran out.... wondering could it be something I did. Have meds to collect today. Been keeping an eye on my bloods and they have been normal last two days without meds. Fingers crossed once I get my bloods done again they may bring me off them ‍♀️

Metformin has quite a long half-life so there is likely some still in your system, hence it's still having an affect on your bloods, but that is likely to wane as time goes by. I would certainly consult the GP before doing anything drastic.

It is tempting to do your own thing when it seems clear you don't need them but I would play safe.

How much are you on?
It stays in the system for around 4 days, but the amount will half every 17 hours or so (in blood cells). So if you are on a low dose there may not be much left after a day and it's effectiveness will decrease over those 4 days.

I think with a hba1c in the 50s they will want you to keep taking it.

Hi. Metformin never has a great effect on BS but does help a bit. Probably worth continuing with it if your BS remains a little on the high side.

I threw away the tablets as I felt so ill back in 2016 and stick to a low carb diet to keep my numbers normal.
It seems to be working year on year - but I am working on becoming a gleefully wicked old lady when it comes to rules which deserve to be broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back