Ramipril

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball12

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
When I was diagnosed Type 2 diabetes I was prescribed 1.25mg of Ramipril and told it was a preventative dose to protect my kidneys!!! My blood pressure is rock solid and always has been. Just learned that Ramipril shouldn't be taken with Metformin??? Has anyone else had this prescribed, thanks

It's absolutely bog-standard to be pescribed Metformin plus ACE inhibitors like Ramipril.

Who on earth from the UK medical profession has told you that?

I never actually took Ramipril, but took Lisinopril then after 12/18 months unfortunately got the ACE cough so had to change to something else. What they DO have to do on an ongoing basis, is check your kidney function (test called eGFR ie estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate) - but they should already be doing that every year anyway.

It's absolutely bog-standard to be pescribed Metformin plus ACE inhibitors like Ramipril.
Not here in the UK or at least it doesn't seem to be. There was no mention of Ramipril for me or many others here I believe.

Not here in the UK or at least it doesn't seem to be. There was no mention of Ramipril for me or many others here I believe.
Maybe ramipril idn't in the UK formulary but certainly other ACE inhibitors (ie -prils) are & routinely combined with metformin. The met/ACE inhibitor interaction notes are generic over all these: some weak evidence for a tiny risk of hypo's.

ACE inhibitors have never been mentioned to me at all. I would be curious to know how many forum members are on them, but I don't think it is standard treatment. Statins on the other hand seem to be a much more commonly prescribed.

Don't take Metformin but been on ramipril for last 15 years, was told at time that it can help protect the kidneys but would guess it would anyway as it designed to lower bp, high BP can have detrimental effect on kidneys as well as other organs.

Yes, but the OP doesn't have a problem with their BP if their comment about their BP being "rock solid and always has been" is anything to go by.
ACEI's are also protective for renal function, as the OP indicates, and standardly prescribed for this purpose. See eg https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content...inhibitors-angiotensin-receptor-blockers-arbs

But the actual issue raised by the OP concerns drug interactions with metform, which are in fact negligible & do not prevent metformin + ACEI being a standard combo.

I was put on Ramipril at diagnosis and switched when I got the ‘prim ’ cough. Not on Metformin so not aware of the interactions with that.
In our area anyone, D or not, who is needing BP management is started on a ‘...peril’ which I think is the cheapest.

When I was diagnosed Type 2 diabetes I was prescribed 1.25mg of Ramipril and told it was a preventative dose to protect my kidneys!!! My blood pressure is rock solid and always has been. Just learned that Ramipril shouldn't be taken with Metformin??? Has anyone else had this prescribed, thanks

Snowball, are you having periodic blood tests, to keep an eye on your electrolytes. For some their sodium drops a bit low. Unfortunately, sodium has quite a narrow tolerance, in terms of high/low/just right.

Who on earth from the UK medical profession has told you that?

I never actually took Ramipril, but took Lisinopril then after 12/18 months unfortunately got the ACE cough so had to change to something else. What they DO have to do on an ongoing basis, is check your kidney function (test called eGFR ie estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate) - but they should already be doing that every year anyway.
My GP, I have been taking them since 2011 when I was diagnosed. Yes I have an annual check with Diabetic Nurse.

ACE inhibitors have never been mentioned to me at all. I would be curious to know how many forum members are on them, but I don't think it is standard treatment. Statins on the other hand seem to be a much more commonly prescribed.
Yes I take statins even though my cholesterol was 3.1 to start with

Snowball, are you having periodic blood tests, to keep an eye on your electrolytes. For some their sodium drops a bit low. Unfortunately, sodium has quite a narrow tolerance, in terms of high/low/just right.
No I only see diabetic nurse once a year

Yes, but the OP doesn't have a problem with their BP if their comment about their BP being "rock solid and always has been" is anything to go by.
Blood pressure is always 130/90 and I am 58..it never changes. Could be my anti depressants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back