Ramadan and diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Fasting for Ramadan
The Qur'an requires Muslims to fast during the month of Ramadan from sunrise to sunset.

However, there are exceptions to this. One of them is that people who are ill or have medical conditions do not have to fast. This includes people with diabetes. To find out more about this, you can speak to your Imam.

For the next few years, Ramadan in the UK is in the late spring months and the length of fasts are long (15 hours or more). Long fasts put you at higher risk of hypoglycaemia and dehydration, which can make you ill.

Ultimately, it is a personal choice whether or not to fast. However, if you do choose to fast, then you must consult your doctor or healthcare team before Ramadan, to make sure that you are able to look after yourself properly. Failing to do so is in itself contrary to the Qur'an, which clearly states that you must not act in a way that harms your body.

This information will help you reduce the risks of becoming ill during Ramadan if you decide to fast, as well as highlighting the dangers of fasting for people with diabetes.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/managing-your-diabetes/ramadan

I really feel for Muslims living in the UK, while Ramadan falls in the summer months. It's a loooong day. I live in a Muslim country and the sun sets around 7pm, so the day is at least a little shorter. But then I guess it's also a lot hotter here!

They're quite strict in Dubai about us non-Muslims too; we're required to not eat or drink in public, so it impacts everyone here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back