Raisens - Yay or Nay??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emzi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Guys

Ive just bought some small snack size packets of raisens to take to work to have as snacks instead of biccies and naughty stuff and just thought id ask if they are ok to have, still kinda getting to grips with the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to foods :D

Thanks

Id carry them incase of lows but all they are are dried up grapes loaded with sugar,maybe 4 or 5 but dont go ott with portion size.

I like those little packs of raisens, the packs I have are 14g and contain 9g carbs. I can cope with a snack like that without insulin. Looking at the GI it comes up as medium.
With anything you need to try and see what it does to your levels, for me they are fine for you might not be.
Try them out and see

I love them and sultanas and they are of course better for you than biccies, BUT one of those little boxes of not many knock my levels into the middle of next week.

Soon back down, but a shock the first couple of times. Still have a few now and then though.

Better than biccies for your hips - but no advantage carb/sugar levels for me!

Those little packs count as 1 portion of fruit, but as others have said are high in carbs and sugar. I try to have them as part of a meal, if I want something sweet for afters rather than going for the cake or the biscuits. Think it's a case of trying them and seeing what happens. They will have more effect on some than others.

As a general rule of thumb, dried fruits are high in sugar, and the sweeter the fresh variety is, the more sugar the dired variety will have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back