Raised ketones with normal blood glucose

Status
Not open for further replies.

John D M

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
Hoping for a bit of advice or perspective.

I’ve been taking Forxiga / Dapagliflozin for 10 weeks and have found BG control much easier and insulin requirement dramatically less.

Less positively, I have slightly raised ketones -1.1- but with fairly normal glucose -7.7. Yesterday I had a COVID vaccination and have felt more unwell as the day passes today and expect that this I connected. Unfortunately I felt on waking and took my Dapagliflozin as normal.

Any advice or sharing of similar experiences would be very helpful.
Should I be unconcerned by the modestly high ketones?
I‘m drinking, eating carbs and taking a little more insulin - anything else that might be helpful?

Thanks
John

There is something called euglycaemic ketoacidosis @John D M which is associated with certain meds (and other things). It’s ketoacidosis with normal blood sugar. Read more here:

I’d keep a close eye on your ketones, keep hydrated, eat and take your insulin and, if in any doubt, seek medical input.

The ketone guidance is here:

There is something called euglycaemic ketoacidosis @John D M which is associated with certain meds (and other things). It’s ketoacidosis with normal blood sugar. Read more here:

I’d keep a close eye on your ketones, keep hydrated, eat and take your insulin and, if in any doubt, seek medical input.

Thankyou

Hi John.As Inka says it is DKA with normal blood glucose levels. But you should treat it in exactly the same way as a normal DKA.

Thankyou

Hi John.As Inka says it is DKA with normal blood glucose levels. But you should treat it in exactly the same way as a normal DKA.
Thankyou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back