Raised hba1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bics

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Wonder if anyone could help.. I'm a bit worried as I just had a letter for my review from blood test. I rang them. They told me to make an appointment to discuss at the surgery as my latest hba1c is slightly raised. I'm on metformin 1000mg twice a day. Also they want to do a foot check on me. Would the nurse do anything with my medication I'm taking do you think or leave me as I am if it's only slightly raised. Please help. My appointment is next Thursday evening and I'm quite worried. Thanks

See what your HbA1c has gone up to/by and take it from there.
Mine went up a bit more than I'd expected so it's prompted me to tighten up on my carbs and get my daily BG average down a bit.

The nurse will routinely do a foot exam every 6 or 12 months.

Do you test BG at home?

I had a raised Hba1c after having what I suspect was a viral infection and possibly Covid. No one told me at the time, but I noticed my home tests were elevated after the Omicron version got me. The numbers have gone down again so if you have a home glucose meter you could show her the numbers and the averages - the meter keeps tabs on the last week month etc. so you can easily pick up trends.

See what your HbA1c has gone up to/by and take it from there.
Mine went up a bit more than I'd expected so it's prompted me to tighten up on my carbs and get my daily BG average down a bit.

The nurse will routinely do a foot exam every 6 or 12 months.

Do you test BG at home?
Thankyou so much. She said on the phone it was slightly. So hopefully I can get back into reducing carbs. I lost my beautiful dog Pippa in January and haven't been thinking of what I'm eating. I have been quite down and trying to get back into it slowly. It's so hard. I used to test a lot before Christmas. I haven't since.

I had a raised Hba1c after having what I suspect was a viral infection and possibly Covid. No one told me at the time, but I noticed my home tests were elevated after the Omicron version got me. The numbers have gone down again so if you have a home glucose meter you could show her the numbers and the averages - the meter keeps tabs on the last week month etc. so you can easily pick up trends.
Thankyou. I could do a few readings this week before my appointment. I have also been suffering from a chest infection past month. Don't know if that has anything to do with it also my eating.

Sorry to read about Pippa - dogs are definitely part of our families so it hits us hard when they pass. It is not surprising that you have been down and distracted from your diabetes management.
Hopefully, this call from your nurse is the gentle nudge you need to get back on track - you've done it before so you know you can do it.

When you do your home finger pricking, take a quick peak at the dates on your strips. They have a best before date and can misread when you go beyond that which is possible if you have not tested for a few months.

Last edited:
Thankyou. I could do a few readings this week before my appointment. I have also been suffering from a chest infection past month. Don't know if that has anything to do with it also my eating.
That could very well be the reason for it.

Similarly I had a really stressful year last year so I took my eye off the ball and ate more for comfort than with my diabetes head on.
So weight went up and although daily BG tests seemed ok I wasn't testing as diligently as usual and was ignoring days when I knew it would be high.
You can get things back on track I'm sure and we're all here to support you.

Sorry to read about Pippa - dogs are definitely part of our families so it hits us hard when they pass. It is not surprising that you have been down and distracted from your diabetes management.
Hopefully, this call from your nurse the gentle nudge that you need to get back on track - you've done it before so you know you can do it.

When you do your home finger pricking, take a quick peak at the dates on your strips. They have a best before date and can misread when you go beyond that which is possible if you have not tested for a few months.
Thankyou so much. Yes I think it is the nudge I need to try to get back to it. My previous appointment with the nurse went so well. This was before Christmas. She was even thinking of reducing my medication slightly. (that won't happen now ) She didn't want to dramatically as she said I'm doing well on metformin and have had no stomach problems or pain.

Hi
I woke this morning and my bloods were 8.0 at 7am, before having an apple for breakfast and my metformin tablet. When I tested again after lunch at 2pm had tuna pasta salad they were 12.1. Is this normal? I usually take my second metformin then at 4pm.
Many thanks for any help

My last reading of bloods at the doctors had gone up from 52 to 63. They said they will check again in November

Hi
I woke this morning and my bloods were 8.0 at 7am, before having an apple for breakfast and my metformin tablet. When I tested again after lunch at 2pm had tuna pasta salad they were 12.1. Is this normal? I usually take my second metformin then at 4pm.
Many thanks for any help

What time did you have lunch? And what was your reading when you had lunch.

Pasta is high in carbs, so will probably cause a rise.

Hi
I didn't test before lunch only after it at 2pm. Maybe I should test before lunch next time to see what reading I get

Hi
I didn't test before lunch only after it at 2pm. Maybe I should test before lunch next time to see what reading I get
If you want to know how much lunch increases your levels by then yes you’d need to test before lunch and 2 hours after lunch and check the difference

If you want to know how much lunch increases your levels by then yes you’d need to test before lunch and 2 hours after lunch and check the difference
That's good to know thank you so much

That's good to know thank you so much
That’s two hours after you take your first bite rather than two hours after you finish.

Hi
Many thanks for any help
Ah - well - there are few type 2s who could eat fruit and pasta and see normal numbers. Your reaction to the carbs is normal, just likely to result in high blood glucose and a higher Hba1c as a consequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back