Raised BG and Steroid injection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Docsue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been on opzepic 0.5 injection for 11 weeks and lost 23lbs. My BG has come down to in the 5s mostly not going beyond 6 as I’ve lost weight. I still have about another stone to lose which I will feel comfortable.
My query is I know oral steroids can raise my BG however, I had bilateral steroid injections into my lumber spine yesterday and my BG this morning is 7 which not been for 2 months. Anyone had this experience or similar

Mine were raised for a couple of weeks following on in my knee a few years ago.

Your levels will keep rising for about 10 days and will probably end up in the high double figure range. Your levels will then gradually start to drop down again.
As is often said, we are all different.
Your levels kept rising for 10 days, mine were only high for a week (and didn't keep rising - the extra insulin stayed stable) and @grovesy mention their's was high for 2 weeks.
I think we need to be clear that we express our experience rather than absolutes ... there seem to be so few absolutes when it comes to diabetes.

As is often said, we are all different.
Your levels kept rising for 10 days, mine were only high for a week (and didn't keep rising - the extra insulin stayed stable) and @grovesy mention their's was high for 2 weeks.
I think we need to be clear that we express our experience rather than absolutes ... there seem to be so few absolutes when it comes to diabetes.
Thank you for the reprimand I didn't know you were a moderator. I will remove my post.

Thank you all who took time to answer, I have since spoken to nurse from my local diabetic centre. The advice I was given was that oral steroids give a quicker increase in BG and steroid injections may rise slower. If my BG get into double figues to get back in touch with them so it seems I need to check my bloods more regularly. See how I go

I am seeing the diabetic team next Friday to check being on Ozempic 0.5 for 12 weeks. As some are aware that my BG has gone from 5s to 8s range following spinal injections of steroids
Another query, when BG is higher than normal I seem to be hungrier as anyone found this too?

Another query, when BG is higher than normal I seem to be hungrier as anyone found this too?
Yes, for me, hunger is typically an indication my levels are high.
But it seems to be another thing where we all differ. Others talk of hypo hunger and raiding the fridge. I am not interested in any food when my levels are low.

The injection I’m on ozempic has really reduced my appetite and it’s the only medication I take for diabetes. I’ve lost 23lbs in 11 weeks and not felt hungry but this revived hunger has taken me by surprise and I don’t like it! 😳 Hopefully it won’t last too long as I do like the feeling of being a bit hungry (as mad as it sounds):rofl:

I have been on opzepic 0.5 injection for 11 weeks and lost 23lbs. My BG has come down to in the 5s mostly not going beyond 6 as I’ve lost weight. I still have about another stone to lose which I will feel comfortable.
My query is I know oral steroids can raise my BG however, I had bilateral steroid injections into my lumber spine yesterday and my BG this morning is 7 which not been for 2 months. Anyone had this experience or similar
I’m Back! T2 10 years, I sort of talked here for few weeks last year about my crisis of taking Ozepic severe reflux and constipated
I lost over 2 stone in 4 months but OMG did I suffer. Had bile, vomiting and the dreaded constipation.I got really good advice but after being on it and losing weight I have since had two lots of cortisone bilateral spine injections. BG from 6s to 12 but seems to be on way back down. Due to bad spine awaiting 2 spinal surgeries so not as active and turned 72 years old on Boxing Day. Following desperate constipation and severe reflux I returned to victoza 1.2 which is not has effective has Ozepic! And now back to 68kg I was 62kg! I’m just having a moan really as I take something that helps diabetes but causes me so bad side effects it does get depressing. I read yesterday Jeremy Clarkdon has bought ozempic privately and thinks it great…wonder how long he will feel like this! I’m fed up!

I’m Back! T2 10 years, I sort of talked here for few weeks last year about my crisis of taking Ozepic severe reflux and constipated
I lost over 2 stone in 4 months but OMG did I suffer. Had bile, vomiting and the dreaded constipation.I got really good advice but after being on it and losing weight I have since had two lots of cortisone bilateral spine injections. BG from 6s to 12 but seems to be on way back down. Due to bad spine awaiting 2 spinal surgeries so not as active and turned 72 years old on Boxing Day. Following desperate constipation and severe reflux I returned to victoza 1.2 which is not has effective has Ozepic! And now back to 68kg I was 62kg! I’m just having a moan really as I take something that helps diabetes but causes me so bad side effects it does get depressing. I read yesterday Jeremy Clarkdon has bought ozempic privately and thinks it great…wonder how long he will feel like this! I’m fed up!
Forgot to say Clarkson has not got diabetes he’s using it for slimming £140 a month!

I have decided to stop the victoza took advice from advanced practitioner and don’t need to reduce but might go to 0.6 for 5 days and then stop. Obviously take blood sugar morning and night and see if I can get my BG down to within acceptable levels. Has anyone done something like this? Been T2 for about 10 years but so sick of gastro problems and see if I can manage diet control if I can
Advice or comments welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back