Raise in BG overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merryterry

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
There may have been and answere to this in a previous posting but how is it I can go to bed with a reading on my Libre2 of 9.1 and in the morning, on rising, a BG of 10.9 having eaten nothing

There are multiple possible reasons for this
  • Your overnight basal may not be enough - this will show as a constant rise on your Libre graph
  • Your evening meal had a long absorption time (e.g. pizza or creamy pasta) - this will show as a constant rise for a few hours and then flattening off
  • You are experiencing Dawn Phenomenon (as @Burylancs suggests) - this will show as a rise starting early morning
However, the rise you mention is not huge. Some people will describe a Dawn Phenomenon of 4 or 5 mmol/l.

I recommend tracking these over a few nights to see if it was a one off or something that happens most of the time.
Then. based on your Libre graphs you can get an idea of the cause as I mentioned above and adjust your insulin dose accordingly.

My morning increase was usually around 5 mmol/l and healthcare team have suggested gradual increases in overnight Levemir to try and flatten the profile. I usually still wake up just above 10 or 11, but it is much better. The risk obviously is creating too big a dip overnight, hence the gradual increase in the basal dose - but I know this strategy doesn't work for everyone.

Hi, I was diagnosed type 2 a week ago, my bloods are at their highest when I wake up too, the lowest it’s been of a morning is 9.1 and the highest it’s been is 10.9., is this normal?

Wilsh

Hi, I was diagnosed type 2 a week ago, my bloods are at their highest when I wake up too, the lowest it’s been of a morning is 9.1 and the highest it’s been is 10.9., is this normal?

Wilsh
yes, this is common.
It is likely to be related to the Dawn Phenomenon with the link above,

Wilsh
Yes.
This thread was begun by someone with type 1, so rather different from your situation.
As you have only just been diagnosed your biological storage for glucose is probably full up - so to get you up in the morning your liver, being helpful, throws out some glucose to give you start up energy to hunt for breakfast if needed. It will probably still be doing the same in future, but it will have less to work with so the number will gradually decrease. An on waking test is often used as a guide to how well blood glucose is being managed

Yes.
This thread was begun by someone with type 1, so rather different from your situation.
As you have only just been diagnosed your biological storage for glucose is probably full up - so to get you up in the morning your liver, being helpful, throws out some glucose to give you start up energy to hunt for breakfast if needed. It will probably still be doing the same in future, but it will have less to work with so the number will gradually decrease. An on waking test is often used as a guide to how well blood glucose is being managed
Many thanks

Many thanks
Morning levels can be the last to show improvement but can also be very variable even when you appear to be doing exactly the same things so it is better to look for trends over the course of a few weeks rather than individual daily readings. I know it can be discouraging not to see rapid improvement when you make changes but it is better to bring down your blood glucose levels slowly as it is kinder on your eyes and nerves.

Morning levels can be the last to show improvement but can also be very variable even when you appear to be doing exactly the same things so it is better to look for trends over the course of a few weeks rather than individual daily readings. I know it can be discouraging not to see rapid improvement when you make changes but it is better to bring down your blood glucose levels slowly as it is kinder on your eyes and nerves.
Thank you

Wilsh

It's quite common in people with T2D, but difficult to deal with as many of the treatments don't stop it and the high levels can sometimes persist for a long period of time and lead to an increased hba1c. It can happen in people who have good control over their blood sugar as well.

Yes.

Er, no.
If glycogen stores are empty, the liver will switch to gluconeogenesis, so it won't 'run out'. If it did stop then we wouldn't live for long. The problem is T2D means the process might not stop when it should, there's problems clearing glucose from the blood due to the insulin resistance, and probably blunted insulin secretion.

People with excellent control do see higher morning levels, as well.

Last edited:
It seems frustrating that rather than use up the glucose already in our blood, our bodies go and raid our glycogen stores to turn (back) into glucose, or, worse, go and MAKE more glucose out of fats and proteins!

(OK, for those of us trying to reduce our excess body fat, raiding our fat stores to turn into new glucose to fuel our body is not of itself bad, but it's still irritating that we seem to get what I call a 'sump' of 'unburnt' glucose flopping around in our bloodstream, not being used up, and giving us those irritatingly high 'baseline - sturbborn' readings.)

Er, no.
If glycogen stores are empty, the liver will switch to gluconeogenesis, so it won't 'run out'. If it did stop then we wouldn't live for long. The problem is T2D means the process might not stop when it should, there's problems clearing glucose from the blood due to the insulin resistance, and probably blunted insulin secretion.

People with excellent control do see higher morning levels, as well.
That is why I emphasised that it isn't the same as for type 1, and never brought up 'running out' at all. I wrote that as the poster was in the very early stages of dealing with type 2, so stores are full, and that the release of glucose first thing will be happening for some considerable time to come as stores reduce, not become exhausted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back