Rail passengers at Basingstoke were told only slim people could sit

Status
Not open for further replies.
That announcer should be done for hate crime in violation of the Disability Discrimination Act. 😱 What people fail to realise is that obesity (contrary to what the tabloid press would have us believe — a good rule of thumb is, if it's in a tabloid, it's more likely than not to be nonsense) is seldom self-inflicted; even if due to overeating, rather than to metabolic problems (and there's plenty of evidence that in many if not most cases, type 2 diabetes causes obesity, not vice-versa), that in turn is almost certainly due to mental health problems, thus still not self-inflicted.

Plus there's the fact that overweight people are more likely than thin people to suffer other disabilities such as mobility problems, and thus to need a seat. This is similar to the stupid (but able-bodied) woman I once overheard who objected to giving up her seat to an OAP because the OAP was (presumed to be) travelling on a free bus pass, and hence was "not entitled to a seat". 🙄 The idiot was too dumb to realise that (1) a bus (or train) fare, whether paid by you, your local council, your employer or whoever, pays for travel, and if you get a seat that's a bonus; and (2) those who are issued free bus passes (elderly or disabled) are precisely those who most need a seat (and, at least on London's buses and in the case of the designated "priority seats", are the only ones who actually are entitled to one). 😡

I don't believe that type 2 causes obesity. However, I do agree that it will exacerbate the condition, but only once insulin resistance is already in place.

I also agree that one does not need to be obese for insulin resistance to be present. The deciding factor, I understand, is more to do with fat surrounding the internal organs. But, that is usually accompanied with being obese in the first place, but not always so.

So, on balance, in some cases, I'd agree that it 'looks like' type 2 causes obesity. But in reality, I don't think that is the full truth.

As to this story, I think the announcer is a twerp. Not least because I think that if the larger people sat down, more people would actually be able to get onto the train because there is usually more space to stand than sit (assuming all available space is used).

Andy 🙂

Sounds like the announcer was a bit rude, but on the other hand I know the three seater rows he's referring to, and it's pretty squashed for even the skinniest person in that middle seat! A bigger nuisance is gentlemen sitting with their legs wide apart, so no foot space for anyone else - why do some men do that?!!!

Well it always causes me to giggle Redkite - Who does he think he is then? Buster Gonad?

And let's face it - plane seats are exactly the same. Neither of my husbands has been large, but if you get a well built - not even obese - person in one seat on your row, it's a struggle for both of us.

And you can be disabled even when you are young, slim and otherwise fit - have you ever tried to get about on crutches at any time? Murder. Wears you out physically too since we aren't really designed to bear our weight on our upper body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back