quite shocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
I run a support group with another parent from our area and we had a meet up today. I met a lovely young lady who had 3 children who was type 1 herself and so was her husband and 2 of the 3 children. They were lovely people. The mum explained to me that she needs a carer in the school holidays due to the fact that she is partially sighted, had kidney problems and neuropathy. She only looked in her early 30's to me and I am so shocked. She did admit that in her teenage years she went for days without testing and just eating what she wanted whenever she wanted - but I wouldnt have thought that someone so young could have so much damage already? She also doesnt absorb insulin very well due to not changing her sites and obviously because she has been injecting for 20 years or more. 😱

I am not stupid enough to think that Alex wont rebel at some stage in his life as this is an awful condition to have to cope with - but it scares the hell out of me that he might get these awful complications. He asked me why the lady's eyes looked funny and I explained the situation as best I could without trying to worry him. He just replied with 'why are people so stupid - whats wrong with injecting when you eat'?. I know he is only 12 - but I just hope he keeps this sort of mentality throughout the teenage years and beyond. I just felt so terribly sad for this lovely family - they were just so lovely and it doesnt seem fair.:(🙂Bev

Last edited:
That is really sad. :(

I think it's normal to go through some sort of rebellion or burnout, it's just that different people go through it differently. I went through a stage when I was a teenager of not testing. I always took my insulin, but my numbers were always high no matter what I did, and so I pretty much decided there was no point in testing since there was nothing I could do (note: I do not condone this at all - I just want to explain how I felt!), and the doctors at the clinic weren't any help.

I'm lucky enough that I got my act together, and I haven't suffered any complications so far, but I think luck has a lot to do with it, and there does seem to be some evidence that some people may be more prone to developing complications than others. It just doesn't seem fair though. :(

What a shame Bev. I suppose the thing to think is that this lady has had diabetes without the benefit of the most up to date knowledge, and her rebellion would have been when less was known about the benefits of good control.

Alex is an extremely bright boy, and there's no reason why he shouldn't therefore be one of the people who takes his diabetes seriously at all times, as thousands do. Plus, you have given him a tremendous background and the knowledge to take good care of himself.

that is shocking and horrible for her.
it is definately normal to go through some kind of rebellion. i went through a period of eating just what i wanted to no matter what, though i did keep injecting through this i just sort of felt why can t i eat whatever i want?! it played havoc with my levels obviously but i snapped out of it after a while
of feeling horrible because my levels were always high.
Alex sounds like a very level headed guy, so he should be fine especially with the support you are giving him.
xxx

She did admit that in her teenage years she went for days without testing and just eating what she wanted whenever she wanted - but I wouldnt have thought that someone so young could have so much damage already?

She might have been downplaying her rebellion, not giving you the entire picture? Just a thought...

It is very sad to hear things like this.It makes me grateful that I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was 20. Alex sound's like such a mature 12 year old I'm sure he'll be sensible when it comes to the teenage rebellion after all he's got a lovely mum to keep him in check 😉 xx

Hi Bev,
I think complications can happen to anyone at any stage and again everyones different. I didn't inject properly as a teenager and rarely tested. Lied about it all the time. Luckily for me i came through it with no complications. I look back now and think i must have been a nutter to do that to myself. But having diabetes since i was 3, i never had a chance to accept it. To me i've always had it. I have no memories of not having it and being a teenager I decided just to forget about it. Caused so many hospital admissions and upset to my parents who tried so hard to understand and make me see sense. For years i had been sensible, ate no sweets and then just thought stuff it. Then one day i felt so so shockingly ill i finally admitted defeat to my mum. Never looked back. This story could have turned out very different.

My friend who got type one at 24 has huge complications, had it for 15 years whereas i've had it for 25. So just depends. If Alexs rebels all you can do is support him and i am very sure you will. x x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back