quite shocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
My daughter Hannah works part-time at the local co-op to help save for uni.
Tonight she was there and a little boy of approx 9 came in with his friend and they spent ?8 on sweets,biscuits and very cheap soda - full fat. My daughter was horrified as this little one was at least 4 times bigger than Alex and would probably be classed as 'obese' and she was thinking just how healthy Alex eats compared to this little chap.

They bought biscuits that were 'buy one get one free' so had about 6 packets of biscuits and the chocolate bars were multi-packs - buy one get one free. By the way they were talking she thinks this is the 'norm' and that they will eat all that tonight! I feel so very very sad for these children - what on earth are their parents thinking? What health problems are they storing up for the future?😱Bev

God greif i guess thats what pocket money goes on or its just what there given to get out of there parents hair at half term, personally my son would never have that amount on him at 8 never mind any older and he certainly would not eat as much junk as that , he now goes out and plays on his own and inevitbly has the odd loliipop or bag of crisps/biccies etc but not to the extent of that.The parents will be sorry because if it has not already then in the near future there child will be poorly, only this week in the news was the story of the two 14 year olds getting gastric bands.

Just saw this before heading to bed....

Firstly.... my son has just turned 10 and has never gone to the local shops to buy 'goodies' with his pals (do i worry for his safety....yep!) Maybe because he's an only child i probably overprotect him....but he's my world.

Secondly....if we visit the sweet shop etc he knows the limits on all that horrid stuff he can buy (i clamped down on those horrid liquid syrupy things they sell in all guises....fun for the kids but not the dentists!)

Thirdly.....lets hope if he gets weighed in year 6 that its not too late for the poor lad.

You can't deny kids sweets and treats but even I know there just has to be a limit on the 'toot' they want to eat. What i've shovelled into my body over the years is nobodys fault but mine but please......we really need to educate these kiddos ......i would never want my son to be like me at my age.....unhealthy with type 2 diabetes!

I wouldn't want to stop kids having sweet treats, they enjoy them. In our house we say to our little lad if you have a proper lunch or eat your dinner you can have sweets. No proper food no treats.

I look at all the kids filling up on pizzas and sweets and gallons of sugary drinks and wonder what sort of diets their parents have, and how much physical activity they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back