Quick reference guide diabetes management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amity Island

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This one is from Canada but still interesting. If anyone has anything similar for UK, it would be interesting to see how they both compare.

GUIDELINE TARGET (or personalized goal)
AA1C targetsA1C ≤7%
If on insulin or insulin secretagogue, assess for hypoglycemia and ensure driving safety
BBP targetsBP <130/80 mmHg
If on treatment, assess for risk of falls
CCholesterol targetsLDL-C <2.0 mmol/L
DDrugs for CVD risk reductionACEi/ARB (if CVD, age ≥55 with risk factors, OR diabetes complications)
Statin (if CVD, age ≥40 for Type 2, OR diabetes complications)
ASA (if CVD)
SLGT2i/GLP1ra with demonstrated CV benefit (if have type 2 DM with CVD and A1C not at target)
EExercise goals and healthy Eating150 minutes of moderate to vigorous aerobic activity/ week and resistance exercises 2-3 times/week
Follow healthy dietary pattern (i.e. Mediterranean diet, low glycemic index)
SScreening for complicationsCardiac: ECG every 3-5 years if age >40 OR diabetes complications
Foot: Monofilament/Vibration yearly or more if abnormal
Kidney: Test eGFR and ACR yearly, or more if abnormal Retinopathy: yearly dilated retinal exam
SSmoking cessationIf smoker: Ask permission to give advice, arrange therapy and provide support
SSelf-management, stress, other barriersSet personalized goals (see “individualized Goal Setting” panel)
Assess for stress, mental health, and financial or other concerns that might be barriers to achieving goals

When I was first diagnosed, my diabetic nurse printed out a list very similar to this, with my personalised targets. These I show in my signature below.

Really interesting and quite nicely simplified.... particularly the focus on LDL only for cholesterol target rather than total cholesterol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back