quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
I have been avoiding giving pasta to A for a good few months now. But i finally caved in tonight as he pestered me. So i have given half the dose up front and i think (?) i will wait about an hour for the remainder of the dose - do you think this is long enough or should i wait 2 hours? Thanks. 🙂Bev

Hi Bev...

If it were Nathan and he was having a split dose of N/R for pasta or pizza...I would normally give the second dose an hour after the first.

Heidi
x🙂

All you can do is record the timings of food & insulin, doses and blood glucose levels. Then do the same next time A has pasta. It may take a few times to get it right for A, which may be quite different to other children or adults, but worth it for food he likes.

Hi Bev

I cannot advise you on this yet as i have avoided giving my son pasta since starting on pump as we not been taught split boluses yet. Let us know how you get on. 🙂🙂

Definately a trial and error :( Like Copepod says record everything 🙂

Hadn't had to worry about pasta on injections as R has only just gone onto pasta, having previously hated it, we're finding we have to do a dual wave over 4 hours 50/50 although this needs changing as she's rising still. I know another boy (aged 6) who has to have a dual wave over 8 hours at least 😱 because pasta for him is a pain! He loves it though 🙂

Update : A was 15 after 2 hours and 12 after 4 hours - so not as big a spike as i would have expected (he used to go up up to 20) - but obviously not there yet! I will try giving the remainder dose 2 hours after eating as it seems 1 hour isnt enough.😉Bev

Update : A was 15 after 2 hours and 12 after 4 hours - so not as big a spike as i would have expected (he used to go up up to 20) - but obviously not there yet! I will try giving the remainder dose 2 hours after eating as it seems 1 hour isnt enough.😉Bev

Hi

On a dual wave I would do 2 hours which means Jessica's spike is about 4 hours. This doesn't actually work for Jessica anymore so I have to do other things instead ie temp basals etc but I think you are right trying for 2 hours.

Good luck with working out the doses. trial and error are worth it if it means Alex can have the food he likes and is happy.

what was he at 6 hours if you checked?

If you give it at 2 hours won't the 2 hour reading be higher than 15?

Hi Nikki
I didnt check him at the 6 hour mark.
Its possible that he could have been even higher than 15 at the 2 hour mark if i hadnt given the second dose, but not entirely sure, i will have to experiment again!
For these sort of reasons, this is why i am looking forward to pumping, it seems so difficult to tweak things on MDI (well it is for A - i am sure other people on MDI find it easier).🙂Bev

yeah that was my thinking, there would be no 2nd dose starting to peak, so the 2 hour number would be higher.
I should have asked about the 5 hour reading really, what i was trying to see was if the blood sugar after all the doses were finished working was in target range. If so then the dose was correct but the timing needs to be worked on. If he wasn't in range then the dose was incorrect. (had the dose been correct then the timing might have worked out ok)

Complicated isn't it!! I think you are right in that you need to experiment a bit more, but if Alex enjoys pasta then it's worth it.

Hi Bev...

I thought this might help...It's taken from our Bible..Dr Ragnar Hanas

PASTA:

Pasta gives a slow rise in BG since it is prepared from crushed or cracked wheat, not wheat flour which causes the starch to be enclosed within the structure of protein (Gluten). This makes pasta a suitable food for people with diabetes. It has the additional advantage of being popular with children. If you are using rapid acting insulin (Humalog), however, the rise may be too slow resulting in hypoglycaemia within 30-60 minutes. If this applies to you , you should take your Humalog or NovaRapid after your meal. If you have a pump, you can use prolonged bolus dose.

Thinner pasta, such as macaroni, gives a quicker BG response than spaghetti. Cooking time is not a factor in how quigkly the BG is raised by spaghetti except in extreme cases of over cooking. Tinned spaghetti increases the BG just as quickly as white bread. As the gluten content of pasta contributes to the slow rise in BG, gluten free pasta allows BG levels to rise faster.

Heidi
x🙂

Hi Bev

I agree with everyone else - these things always involve a bit of experimentation! One of the other things I would suggest is looking at the proportion of the split. For the foods I have to split for, sometimes I find half and half works best, and others I find two thirds up front, with the rest later is better. I was just wondering if this might help reduce A's spike at two hours, but give you enough of an extension of insulin action to catch the rest of the pasta? It's taken a lot of trial and error for me to figure these things out though! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back