quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Just took the set out and its gushing blood and very bruised around the site. How can I stop it bleeding.

I should expect it's stopped bleeding by now. Best way to stop blood flow is to apply pressure. Hope it's a one off and doesn't happen again.

Phew - it did take a good 10 minutes to stop it.😱
Apparently this can happen and its nothing to worry about. I did apply pressure - but he was standing up and it would have been better to lay him down - so learnt a lesson. Thanks Sofaraway.🙂Bev

Hi bev, sorry - I did see your question but couldn't offer any advice since I know nothing about it! Glad to hear that Alex is now no longer leaking! 😱

Glad Alex is no longer bleeding. I asked my resident first aiders, they advised applying pressure, raise the area bleeding above the level of the heart (I know this is not always practical), apply an ice pack (or a bag of fozen peas).

Scary the first time it happens, but incase it happens again you will know what to do.

Just shows how important it is for EVERYONE to learn / be taught first aid, so they know how to stop bleeding, whatever causes it. Our Mum used to enjoy outraging other parents by telling them she didn't care if her teenage daughters (my younger sister and me) didn't get O levels, but did care that they learned first aid and life saving. Each of us has been able to prevent serious harm to others by knowing how to react to injuries / incidents, so she was right. We've also done OK professionally, along the way.

Just shows how important it is for EVERYONE to learn / be taught first aid, so they know how to stop bleeding, whatever causes it. Our Mum used to enjoy outraging other parents by telling them she didn't care if her teenage daughters (my younger sister and me) didn't get O levels, but did care that they learned first aid and life saving. Each of us has been able to prevent serious harm to others by knowing how to react to injuries / incidents, so she was right. We've also done OK professionally, along the way.

Your right Copepod. I think I might try to get onto a first aid course as I have to admit that it was quite frightening watching blood spouting all over the place. In reality, it probably wasnt much really - but the tissue was soaked and the blood was still gushing.😱🙂Bev

Another thing my mum taught me and my sister is that a little blood goes a long way - especially if mixed with water or on damp skin. I remember an incident when I was about 7 years old, when someone caught their fingers in a sash cord window (sash cord failed when their hand was under it), and dripped blood into a sink of water - it looked like the whole sink was full of water, so after dealing with the casualty, she took as tiny bit of the bloody water, added it to a glass of water, which looked like all blood. Living in a small village, people quite often came round to our house, with the after effects of farm / garden accidents / animal bites etc, so we got quite used to it. We moved to the outskirts of a city when I was 9, so far less blood after that! Although we still needed to help occasionally, such as when a neighbour put arm through glass window, so someone came to fetch Mum to their house.
Not trying to be gorey - the main point is that you need to know what to do, as there's no time to read a book when faced with a bleeding or unbreathing casualty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back