Quick Question Please...Insulin Doses 'How Far Apart'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellowyne

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone, I hope all is ok!

I was just wondering...If I happen to get up late and don't have time for breakfast, I will usually have a cup of Tea with a Rich Tea biscuit, I give myself 2/3 units (In case of 2 biscuits!) to cover biccy and tea.

Then, appox 2/3 hours later I will have my usual Lunch...What I would like to know is this, is 2/3 hours in between Insulin jabs long enough to then take another dose when I have my lunch?....I hope that makes sense, lol!

Oh, my B' sugars normally go up by 3/4 with Tea & Biscuit...don't know if that is any help or makes any diffrence?

Thankies...Love Ellowyne xXx

Hi Ellowyne, novorapid normally lasts for between 4 and 5 hours in me, so after 2 or 3 hours I would still expect to have some 'circulating' in me. If I ate again at this time I would probably reduce the amount of insulin I was about to inject to take account of this and depending on what my levels were like.

Hope that makes sense! 🙂

Hey Ellowyne, personally I would be happy to inject with that amount of time. As Alan said you might want to take into account active insulin, but I find unless I'm doing 2 injections really close together (say within 30mins/1 hour) I don't personally need to mind that.

Thank you for your replies!...I usually test before I have my lunch, after tea and biscuits in the morning and 3/4 Novo, I can still hit a 12!!...:( So, I guess I still need to take some Novo before lunch, or maybe I need to increase Novo with Tae & Biscuits???...I sometimes think I am immune to Insulin, I seem to need so much of it to take effect...Thats' Insulin resistance I suppose :(

Okies, thanks guys...really helps to get some input, thank you! 🙂

Thank you for your replies!...I usually test before I have my lunch, after tea and biscuits in the morning and 3/4 Novo, I can still hit a 12!!...:( So, I guess I still need to take some Novo before lunch, or maybe I need to increase Novo with Tae & Biscuits???...I sometimes think I am immune to Insulin, I seem to need so much of it to take effect...Thats' Insulin resistance I suppose :(

Okies, thanks guys...really helps to get some input, thank you! 🙂

It might be partly due to the time of day Ellowyne - I need a LOT more insulin in the morning than I do later on, so maybe the 3/4 units is too little fr the tea and biscuits.

I too need more in the morning - almost double the ratios I use in the evening. Definitely worth a thought, it's quite common to be more insulin resistant in the morning.

i am a teenager and i wake up at, only at weekends mind at like 12pm.
i have my breakfast then, where i give between 6-8units, my sugars tend to be like 10 cause ive missed breakfast.
then about 2 hours later i will have lunch and give between 6-8units again, i dont hypo or anything.
i try not to do this as it completely messes my sugar levels up, but hey i'm a lazy teenager!

It's always advisable to leave at least 4 hours between quick acting insulin's like novorapid, otherwise you get a overlap and this may lead to post-meal hypo's. As other's have said, insulin can still be circulating 4-5 hours after injecting, so its best to leave sufficient time between injections, but should you happen to inject before this time has lapsed, keep a close eye on your bg thereafter as your risk of hypoglycemia is increased. Toby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back