Quick night time question for anyone awake!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rspence

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
My son's BM is 6.4 at 11pm tonight. Does that mean i should test him around 3am??????????????

He's 'normally' at 15 or 16 at this time of night and once or twce has been under 4 but this is the first time 've had a 6.4 reading at 11pm.

(answers tomorrow will come in useful for other nights!):confused:

if you would feel happy testing him at 3am, do it. if it will put your mind to rest do it.

if it were me personally (this is not advice!) i would test, simply because he's at a different level to normal, and i'd want to know what was happening.

edit: d'oh, meant to say good luck with whatever you choose to do, hope he is okay!

Hi Rachel, it might be a good idea to give him a biscuit or something, then test at 3 am if he is normally used to such high levels before bed. 6.4 is a good level before bed, but only if you are confident of his insulin doses. Hope all goes well for him 🙂

thanks shiv and northerner

being little his 11-pm test was done whilst he was alseep havng been asleep since 7pm.

yes will check him at 3am ish and like you say cos its unusual we need to monitor to know whats happening.

thanks a million friends,
rachel

My son's BM is 6.4 at 11pm tonight. Does that mean i should test him around 3am??????????????

He's 'normally' at 15 or 16 at this time of night and once or twce has been under 4 but this is the first time 've had a 6.4 reading at 11pm.

(answers tomorrow will come in useful for other nights!):confused:

Yes I would test at 3am to be on the safe side. I would also be asking your team for advice regarding the 15 and 16 levels as these are far too high to be left without a correction. What time is the last food/snack given before bed? Do you know how to do a correction? (sorry I cant remember how long your son has been diagnosed and what regime he is on).🙂Bev

how it went

Well it turned out to be one of his best nights ever ironically!

11pm: 6.4
1am: 10.1
and randomly he slept right through til 9am no idea why, but his BM at 9am was 7.9.

Bev - you're right about his levels being far too high but its been like that most of the time for 5 weeks and for some reason his consultant hasn't been anxious about it so we presume they were letting him run high at night to ge thim level in day.

they have upped his levemir dose from 4 to 5 units so maybe last night we were seeing the effect of that.

thanks everyone,
rachel

Well it turned out to be one of his best nights ever ironically!

11pm: 6.4
1am: 10.1
and randomly he slept right through til 9am no idea why, but his BM at 9am was 7.9.

Bev - you're right about his levels being far too high but its been like that most of the time for 5 weeks and for some reason his consultant hasn't been anxious about it so we presume they were letting him run high at night to ge thim level in day.

they have upped his levemir dose from 4 to 5 units so maybe last night we were seeing the effect of that.

thanks everyone,
rachel

Hi Rachel,
Its odd that he went higher at 1am - are you sure he didnt have a hypo and then rebound? I think your consultant is taking things slowly because there is probably some of his own insulin kicking around and it might muddy the waters if he took things too drastically. However, I wouldnt let the high levels go on for too long - this isnt good. Perhaps ask for a phone consult in a couple of weeks if things are still the same - or does your team have email contact?🙂Bev

hypo then rebound?

Bev - you are such an important person on here - i didn't even know that could happen, i just assumed the long acting insulin had kicked in - i haven't even heard of hypo then rebound!!!

thanks for helping us through this

we're at clinic next fri 21st may so can ask then, also our diabetic nurse phones occassionally.

rach

Bev - you are such an important person on here - i didn't even know that could happen, i just assumed the long acting insulin had kicked in - i haven't even heard of hypo then rebound!!!

thanks for helping us through this

we're at clinic next fri 21st may so can ask then, also our diabetic nurse phones occassionally.

rach

It's possible, although it is also possible that he just naturally climbed higher through the night. The best way to determine what exactly is happening is to use a continuous glucose monitor (CGMS) which your clinic ought to be able to provide (not permanently!) if you have concerns about hypo/rebounds. If I go low in the night then I usually have a bad headache in the morning, so if he was feeling OK then it is probably less likely he hypoed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back