Quick insulin question

mattski

Relationship to Diabetes
Steroid Induced Diabetes
Hi,
Following an appointment today, along side the trurapi which I take with every meal, I've also been put on a long lasting insulin called Lantus.
Whereas the trurapi came boxed up with storage instructions etc, the 2 pre-filled pens of Lantus came loose in a fridge bag so my question is, do I store and discard in the same way?
Trurapi is refrigerated until use, then thrown after 28 days.

Thanks,
Matt

Hi,
Following an appointment today, along side the trurapi which I take with every meal, I've also been put on a long lasting insulin called Lantus.
Whereas the trurapi came boxed up with storage instructions etc, the 2 pre-filled pens of Lantus came loose in a fridge bag so my question is, do I store and discard in the same way?

Thanks,
Matt
Yes is the answer just keep refrigerated until use, then thrown after 28 days.

Hi,

Thanks,
Matt
That’s bad, you should have been given a patient information leaflet at the very least. You can Google the PIL, and read on line. but basically yes, store in fridge and discard after being out of fridge in use (normally it’s 28 days, but i have a feeling lantus says it last 6 weeks)

Advice tends to be the same for all modern insulin, yes.

In reality so long as you don't freeze it it's likely fine for months. So don't panic if you forget to put it in the fridge as soon as you get it home, just don't leave it under the grill or on your sunny windowsill.

That’s bad, you should have been given a patient information leaflet at the very least. You can Google the PIL, and read on line. but basically yes, store in fridge and discard after being out of fridge in use (normally it’s 28 days, but i have a feeling lantus says it last 6 weeks)
Yeah, I thought that was a little naughty to not have included any information

Advice tends to be the same for all modern insulin, yes.

In reality so long as you don't freeze it it's likely fine for months. So don't panic if you forget to put it in the fridge as soon as you get it home, just don't leave it under the grill or on your sunny windowsill.
Cheers!!
It did make me chuckle when you said about leaving it under the grill.....it also altered my donner plans as grilled insulin is now off the menu lol

Back