Quick carb value please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura22

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My Dad's gone to get us fish & chips except I'm having a large battered sausage 😱 (I'm hungry! lol)

Anyone know the average carb value of one? I can't find it in my Collins Gem Calorie Counter book!

Thank you!

I would guess at 15 carbs to take account of all the fat.🙂Bev

I did 10u overall and my BG's only gone up 1 point so far! But that was an hour ago I ate!

bev - when you say take it into account, how do you mean? are you reducing the carb amount because of the fat? (can you tell i'm a bit confused?)

No, she would be increasing it slightly. Fat can take the levels up as well as making digestion slower.

As an example if you have pasta I would do the following carbs :

100 g cooked pasta with tomato based sauce (no cheese) = 25 carbs

100 g cooked pasta with cheese based sauce (ie fat) = 30 carbs

But then on a pump we have the beauty of a dual wave so we can slow release the insulin to match the slow food release.

Complicated stuff.

On injections if you increase due to the fat you need to be careful of a hypo as the insulin will work before the fat sometimes.

Hope that makes sense and not everyone does it like this.

No, she would be increasing it slightly. Fat can take the levels up as well as making digestion slower.

As an example if you have pasta I would do the following carbs :

100 g cooked pasta with tomato based sauce (no cheese) = 25 carbs

100 g cooked pasta with cheese based sauce (ie fat) = 30 carbs

But then on a pump we have the beauty of a dual wave so we can slow release the insulin to match the slow food release.

Complicated stuff.

On injections if you increase due to the fat you need to be careful of a hypo as the insulin will work before the fat sometimes.

Hope that makes sense and not everyone does it like this.

thanks Adrienne - i do split my doses for things like pasta, but i don't usually increase the dose if it's a fatty food. but that's great know - is there any set formula you use to know how much to increase the carbs to?

thanks Adrienne - i do split my doses for things like pasta, but i don't usually increase the dose if it's a fatty food. but that's great know - is there any set formula you use to know how much to increase the carbs to?

Hi Shiv,
Adrienne has answered for me - in a much clearer way than i could have done! I dont have a formula as such, i just use instinct, but if i had to put it down to a % - I would say we add on 10% approximately, but it depends on the sort of fatty food. Deep fried things I always add 10% - but if it was a huge fish with lots of batter then i would add 20% on. Foods like cheese etc i only add about 5% depending on how much is involved. Sorry if i am not giving you a definate amount - i suppose its just what works for an individual really.🙂Bev

Hi Shiv,
Adrienne has answered for me - in a much clearer way than i could have done! I dont have a formula as such, i just use instinct, but if i had to put it down to a % - I would say we add on 10% approximately, but it depends on the sort of fatty food. Deep fried things I always add 10% - but if it was a huge fish with lots of batter then i would add 20% on. Foods like cheese etc i only add about 5% depending on how much is involved. Sorry if i am not giving you a definate amount - i suppose its just what works for an individual really.🙂Bev

no that's a really big help - it would explain a few things too!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back