Questions for DN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duane Charles

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Morning, I have a face2face appointment on Thursday afternoon with a DN. I’m in the process of drawing up questions to ask in relation to being either T2 or T3c. I have the following:
  • Request for a C-peptide test
  • Referral to an Endocrinologist with a view to a CT of my pancreas.
  • Carb Counting
Is there anything else I can ask please?

If they’re going to take bloods @Duane62 you could see if they’d do a few extra checks. My GP did my vitamin D test, for example.

If they’re going to take bloods @Duane62 you could see if they’d do a few extra checks. My GP did my vitamin D test, for example.
I will ask about the vitamin D test. Can they also do the c-peptide test or does that need to be done at a hospital appointment?

I’m not sure @Duane62 I had mine done at the hospital. You could ask the nurse.
Thank you @Inka. I don’t know why but I seem to remember having a blood test that needed to go down to the lab quite quickly after it had been taken, I wonder if that was the same thing? They also had to order down meds for the blood test too.

That might have been the C Peptide @Duane62 I had it done with other tests and the consultant wrote an ‘urgent’ note on one of them which I think was the C Peptide.

I will ask the DN to check my records and ask if it can possibly be repeated now that I’m a confirmed D

I have sen that I had an ERCP in March of this year. This looked at my pancreas, but from memory showed nothing.

Both a C-peptide test and GAD antibodies would be the 2 tests to help distinguish Type 1 or Lada from Type 2 but whether the antibody test would be appropriate in your case since the suggestion is you may be Type 3c. That test is better done before people start on insulin and is the one which normally needs special processing of the blood sample and takes a while to do as not many labs do it.
You could also ask for your vitamin B12 to be checked as if low it can cause tiredness, aches and pains and can be low if you are unable to absorb Vit B12 for foods or don't have a diet containing Vit B12

That test is better done before people start on insulin
One of the reasons for asking for the C-Peptide is rule out 3c.
You could also ask for your vitamin B12 to be checked as if low it can cause tiredness
As I’ll be asking about vitamin D, I can also ask about B12.

Hopefully I’ll manage to get through the questions I have so far in the 10 minute slot afforded to me.

Thank you @Inka and @Leadinglights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back