question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ketones (not keytones, although that's how it's pronounced) are breakdown products of fats, which can happen when blood glucose levels are too high (typically at least 16mmol/l), generally before diagnosis, if treatment levels aren't high enough, during infectiousness illness etc. Generally much less of a problem for type 2s than type 1s. There are very expensive strips to test for ketones in blood (current situation) or much cheaper ones to test for ketones in urine (measure of situation over previous few hours). But ask your diabetes team next time you see them - they should have mentioned ketones already.

from diabetes.co.uk:

Ketones are an acid remaining when the body burns its own fat.

When the body cannot get enough glucose from the blood to use as energy (in the case of type 2 diabetics it may receive very little glucose, in type 1 cases it will receive none), it will begin to burn fat.

When the body is burning too much fat, it may cause ketones to become present in the bloodstream.

I am type 2 diabetic, should I be tested for ketones?

All people with type 1 diabetes should be tested for ketones, and although type 2 diabetics are less likely to suffer the complications caused by ketones, it is essential to know what the symptoms are, and when you should test. Finding ketones present in your urine is a sign that the management of your disease needs adjusting. Ketone testing should also be a matter of course for pregnant diabetics and women who develop gestational diabetes.

obv that is just stuff i pulled off the web 🙂

yes i test but only have needed to twice since feb i got my ketostix from lloyds the chesmist for a fivva

Hi Julie..

Ketones are produced by the body when the cells do not have enough glucose energy. The body then breaks down fat to produce energy and the breakdown products are called Ketones. Ketones can be used as fuel by the muscles, heart, kidneys and brain.

If a person has diabetes, ketones are produced when there is a lack of insulin and the BG levels are usually high.

Ketones can be measured in both the blood and the urine. Positive urine ketone readings are found in anyone who is fasting..regardless of whether or not they have diabetes.

It is particularly important to check for ketones if you are ill, under a lot of stress, feeling sick and vomiting, as well as when your BG level is consistently high.

The ketones produced when the body is starving, or when there is a deficiency of insulin, are chemically the same. But often described differently as "Starvation Ketones" or "Diabetes Ketones" since they are produced in different situations.

Heidi
xx🙂

I think testing for ketones in type 2s is a personal call. When I asked the DSN she said since my body produces some insuline (but not much), I did not need to worry about ketones.

There is no harm in asking your care team at your next appointment if you are worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back